PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Someone said aim for 40 before you begin to feel more confident. Still a ways to go!
I just took this one off the bench.
KTrlKuS.jpg

ohnDyUp.jpg

bl4qozt.jpg

RA97TVg.jpg

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I forgot to mention that my billiard dimensions are incorrect as shown in the picture below. I was chasing the shank to try and achieve a seamless join and by the time it got to this point, I had taken off too much material for the billiards dimensions to be correct.
DcehrMB.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have more Billiards in my collection than any other shape. I love a good billiard.
To my eye, this 1966 Dunhill LB is the best shaped Billiard I have ever come across. There is no real ring grain so the blast is nothing special, but the shape is what I am talking about.

For ring grain this Rad Davis has some really nice grain.

Another nicely grained pipe is this Jose Rubio.

Both of the nicely ring grains also have some nice shaping as well.
I could go on and on but you get the idea. I stopped buying smooth pipes with killer grain or Birdseye as I learned you cannot smoke grain and I can get 2 pipes for the price of one. Chasing grain is fun but it is also very expensive and I am still putting kids through college and law school. You need to get the shaping down before you go for smooth pipes or pipes with killer sand blasts. You will get there if you keep working hard at it. Good luck.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Great job! Keep at it. I’d like to see the stem bent slightly down towards the end on this one. If it could be the angle of the photo. Beautiful work!

Reactions: newbroom

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like it. The given is that this is a big-chambered pipe, so the cant lends some motion and flow to the design, and the grain is pleasing. It's a big capacity briar without just looking like Big Pipe. Complaining about it would make me feel fussy and hair-splitting.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Cigar Master, your collection of beautiful pipes never fails to impress me!
I always tell myself, That's it, I'm done I'll put all my briar in the fireplace. but something in me just won't let it go.
I'm an old codger and I'm a stubborn old bastard. If I die with a smile on my face it will be because I finally made a billiard that got a thumbs up from the folks on the PMF LOL
:col:

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.