PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
With all the FDA regulations and some blends falling by the wayside, I was surprised to read in my newly arrived Pipes & Cigars catalog that John Bull is releasing two new blends (the P & C website says mid November).

John Bull True English has Latakia, Oriental, and Virginia and is described as a traditional English with a heavy taste of Latakia.

John Bull Fragrant English contains black Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, and is described as sweet and smokey, giving a pleasant room note.

John Bull Royal English, their original pipe tobacco, has been a long time favorite of mine. It contains black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia, and Latakia. Not only is John Bull a favorite, it introduced me to several other blends known as "American English" which are my favorite type now. Burley and Latakia are good together.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I saw this too, and am looking forward to this new release. JBRE was my first foray into English blends, and at just shy of $6 for a 1.5 oz. pouch, it's a great blend to have on hand for when you want something on the milder end of that spectrum. I will, of course, assume that the two newbies need as much dry time as RE does...:)

Reactions: drydock

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I received an email from P & C saying the two new John Bull blends I backordered were shipped today. Checking their website they now show in stock. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Reactions: Servant King

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Homesteader - any other burley/latakia blends you'd recommend? I've got a Royal English jarred up that I'm going to dig up on your recommendation so I'm curious about any others you might offer in this "category." Many thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always liked John Bull Royal English, with its burley. I have an unopened pouch on hand, after I finish this home mix I concocted. I see John Bull is also offering a line of cigars that someone posted on the cigar thread. How are those? It's a good line of leaf, I think, well-grounded and moderately priced.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Homesteader - any other burley/latakia blends you'd recommend? I've got a Royal English jarred up that I'm going to dig up on your recommendation so I'm curious about any others you might offer in this "category." Many thanks!
Some I really like are Distinguished Gentleman by E. Hoffman, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Sutliff RL-BD (a match for Barking Dog), and Lane HGL (RLP-6 with Latakia.) Some of these may also be categorized as aromatics because of a topping, especially the HGL, but they aren't heavily aromatic--you still get the taste of the tobaccos.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
@homesteader Now that you've tried both new JB releases, how would you rate all three blends, highest to lowest in preference?
I think the original Royal English would be my favorite, followed by the True English and then Fragrant English. Some English blends that are popular I just don't care for, so the True English fills a void in English blends that I like. The Fragrant English is alright but similar to several I already smoke without being better than them.