PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DaemonoShreds

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Houston, TX
Good afternoon PipesMagazine.com! I am new to smoking pipe tobacco and am really enjoying it. I have a cheap Amazon pipe and am looking into picking up a Savinelli 320 KS soon! I had the fortunate opportunity to meet the fine folks over at Lone Star Tobacco here in Houston, TX and they recommended G.L. Pease Picadilly and honestly, I can't complain. The aroma is nice. It tastes very smooth compared to the Lucky Strikes Red Shorts I usually smoke. I want to explore more. What blends would you recommend?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome to the forum from KC!! Pease makes a large number of tobaccos to try. They must have over 70 blends to try. My favorite English blend is Westminster. But he has a number of Virginia/Virginia Perique's. He has few aromatics.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaemonoShreds

DaemonoShreds

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Houston, TX
Welcome from Michigan! How is the Amazon pipe working so far? And is Picadilly the only blend you've tried so far?
It gets hot but I suspect that more of me sucking at packing worth a damn than the pipe being cheap lol
Yeah, Picadilly is the only thing I've tried so far. I'd like to get into some old traditional/codger blends.

Reactions: kcghost

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It gets hot but I suspect that more of me sucking at packing worth a damn than the pipe being cheap lol
Yeah, Picadilly is the only thing I've tried so far. I'd like to get into some old traditional/codger blends.
Yeah you'll probably see a great improvement once you get a nicer pipe. If you're trying to save some money and want a 320 shape, check out Rossi's 8320. Rossi is Savinelli's "seconds" line brand.

For tobacco I'd suggest getting a few 1oz bulk blends from an online store to get an idea of what a Virginia, a Burley, an English, etc. are each like. From there you can say what you like or dislike about that blend and guys can point you in the right direction.

DaemonoShreds

Lurker
Apr 30, 2024
Houston, TX
Yeah you'll probably see a great improvement once you get a nicer pipe. If you're trying to save some money and want a 320 shape, check out Rossi's 8320. Rossi is Savinelli's "seconds" line brand.

For tobacco I'd suggest getting a few 1oz bulk blends from an online store to get an idea of what a Virginia, a Burley, an English, etc. are each like. From there you can say what you like or dislike about that blend and guys can point you in the right direction.
I'll check it out! Is there an online store you'd recommend for 1oz blends?

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'll check it out! Is there an online store you'd recommend for 1oz blends?
I normally order from smokingpipes.com but there's also tobaccopipes.com and pipesandcigars. There are still others out there but those are the ones that come to mind quickly.

If you want tobaccos from B&Ms that blend their own (and don't just simply rebrand/rename Sutliff, Lane, etc. blends) check out The Country Squire, Watch City Cigars, Wilke Pipe Tobacco, Boswell's, and Uhle's. I've tried something from each of these except for Uhle's.

But I'd start with the former route and also limit yourself to 2-3 blends of each family. It's too easy to check this and that out and by the time you're done you've got 50+ one ounce bags. Not that I did that myself... 😅

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

"But I'd start with the former route and also limit yourself to 2-3 blends of each family." ~ AroEnglish

That is probably the best advice that someone can give.
It certainly beats "You should buy _________ and _________ because I like it."

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Welcome from Austin. The Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes are good for starters and smoke great for the price. Rossi is also a good recommendation. Try some lighter English blends to start and some VaPers maybe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good afternoon PipesMagazine.com! I am new to smoking pipe tobacco and am really enjoying it. I have a cheap Amazon pipe and am looking into picking up a Savinelli 320 KS soon! I had the fortunate opportunity to meet the fine folks over at Lone Star Tobacco here in Houston, TX and they recommended G.L. Pease Picadilly and honestly, I can't complain. The aroma is nice. It tastes very smooth compared to the Lucky Strikes Red Shorts I usually smoke. I want to explore more. What blends would you recommend?
Which blends? Honestly whatever ones seem interesting or great. And go from there. Honestly I don't think there are bad blends, just ones that I don't enjoy smoking as much.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome from SE Louisiana from a native Texan born in Port Arthur.
Go back to Lone Star Tobacco and ask them to show you how to pack your pipe.
Also check to see if they have any inexpensive pipes.
The on-line pipe shops have a number of inexpensive pipes under $50 that you can order.
At the very least search for Missouri Meerschaum on buy some of their corncob pipes.