2 Fresh Micah Redmond Pipes
18 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 24, 2022
Hello all! I just began my pipe smoking journey about a week ago. I come from a background of 25 years of steady cigarettes (I quit last year), some hookah, and cigars on special occasions. I have no good pipe shop near me as my family is fairly out of the way on a little modern homestead. But I was able to get a good cobb and a pack of Peterson Wild Atlantic. I am also blessed enough to have a friend who is knowledgeable about pipes and he gave me a few samples to try. Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, Christmas Cookie, Vanilla Roll Cake, Super Balkan, Capstan Blue. I've realized that while I don't hate the aromatics, they will have their place like if I'm smoking inside or around my wife, I much prefer my tobacco to taste like tobacco. I enjoyed the Capstan Blue the most. It seems to my inexperienced taste, mild and pleasant and could be smoked all day. Although the Peterson Wild Atlantic isn't bad like I expected it to be. I smoke 2-3 pipes a day.

So now I'm sitting here at my computer wondering what I should buy. I still need to also find something good and deep with a high nicotine for me to smoke around the campfire we have some nights. *sigh* I have so many questions. I'm still looking for a good online article to explain the different tobacco classes. I'd like to particularly read about Virginias as I believe that's what the Capstan Blue is.
Well, sorry if this intro went on a bit long!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome from northern Illinois, just south of the border. My sister lives in Eagle River. How far north are you?

Reactions: Whiskey-Priest

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. Take your time sampling blends. Don't buy quantities for a year or two -- just a pouch, and ounce or two bulk, one tin, etc. What you don't like, save in a jar, since your tastes will change and develop. Enjoy the journey.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Welcome from PA.

I remember that dilemma! Mine wasn't too long ago, back in 2018, and I was staring at the different tabs I had up on Pipes & Cigars and Smoking Pipes trying to figure out what to buy.

I pretty much bought single tins and 1 oz bulk samples until I got a good handle on types that I liked, after that, the flood gates opened, and I now suffer from Tobacco Acquisition Disorder (TAD).

I'd also suggest checking out the Youtube Pipe Community (YTPC) and channels like Muttonchop Piper (for everything piping) and Beans316 (a lot of different tobacco reviews). Both are great and loaded with info.