Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

That advice ranks somewhere below the "three (3) months salary rule" for an engagement ring.
At least with the ring, you are familiar enough with the woman to be ready for a commitment.
And that's why you should always quite your job for three months before getting engaged or go work at some place that pays minimum wage for three months. If she doesn't understand well then she can't love a man who knows how to handle money.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi! Just joined the forums today. Beginner pipe smoker. Have thought on and off for quite awhile about perhaps getting a pipe to enjoy when I’m sitting in the backyard during the evenings. My father, and father-in-law, were both pipe smokers. But just the cheaper pipes and tobacco you could get at the grocery or drug store. I miss the old days. Always liked the smell. lol.

Was not quite sure which pipe to get so I just looked around on pipesmokers.com and purchased an estate pipe, a Mark Tinsky bent bulldog. Mostly just cause I liked the look of it. And I read over there to get the best pipe a guy can afford. I was kinda astonished at what some pipes cost. Wow! Anyway, thought that one would be ok.

But I’ve a lot of reading to do here so I can learn.

Thanks guys! Joe
I don't like the buy the best you can afford. For one thing people who have been smoking for decades still can't agree on what you actually pay for in a pipe or what makes for a great pipe. Plus technique does more to make a good smoke then a pipe being better then good enough.

RPK

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
Welcome from New Jersey. There are a number of pipe suppliers that advertise on this site give them a look also. I kind of like smoking pipes . com because you can do some searches for both new and or estate pipes putting in price range and shape and finish etc, and keep yourself busy for hours........

68748Joe

Lurker
May 12, 2024
Nebraska USA
I don't like the buy the best you can afford. For one thing people who have been smoking for decades still can't agree on what you actually pay for in a pipe or what makes for a great pipe. Plus technique does more to make a good smoke then a pipe being better then good enough.
This is something I’ve been curious about looking at the price range of pipes. Seems like the spread can go from $25 to $2500, and everywhere in between. Haven’t found what a guy can reasonably spend for a pipe to be considered “ok” or pretty good.

I recall my father smoked the Dr. Grabow pipes and Borgum Riff forever and never seemed to have an interest in changing up.

I guess if you’ve found something that works, that’s a good thing.

I can see though where buying something and not making a good choice could turn a guy off though from the entire hobby.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc.
How: Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.