PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, new to me. After selling one of my Boswell's, I leaning towards a modestly priced estate Italian (Ardor or Cavicchi). I came across this James Upshall Rhodesian at SecondHandSmokes.com. I didn't know a lot about this brand, but sought out feedback from some pipe buddies who were fans. I made an offer and it was accepted. The pipe is an S-grade FT-5.
This JL Pease article on Upshall pipes definitely aided my decision making process. The classic British shape also tugged on my heart strings.

http://glpease.com/Pipes/Reviews/Upshall.php
I bought it on Monday evening and it was delivered today to Maryland. I've purchased a number of estate pipes this year but none have been as carefully packed as this pipe. The box was even shrink wrapped to avoid wear on it.
It has been smoked, but seems in great shape. The Upshall catalog calls this shape a bent Rhodesian. It sure looks like a bent bulldog to me, but they would certainly know better than I.
I smoked a bowl of burley from the pipe this evening as it looks like it hasn't even been broken in. What a nice feel and draw. The size is just right and fits nicely into my current collection. I can't wait to try some of my favorite blends in it. I don't necessarily dedicate pipes to a particular brand, but might in this case.

Which pipe doesn't belong in this rack......?

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
There is one school of thought that holds forth that it's a bulldog until you put a bend to the stem/shank, then it's a Rhodesian.
My school of thought is you've a fine addition there.
Which pipe doesn't belong... the one that needs to be in your hands being smoked?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought a Rhodesian had to have a round or oval shank and a bulldog had a squared shank. Ah, the mysteries of pipe shapes and names...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm with you SSjones as far as the differentiation between the two styles.

However; since the corners of the shank are somewhat rounded...

I have to go with Bulldesian. :D

Very fine pipe.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
drool.gif

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I do go with the diamond = dog, round = rhodie myself.

I can't recall off the top of my head just now the names, but I have seen a few carvers who distinguish between the 2 based on straight vs. bent.
Mysteries of shape names indeed (-;
From ASPIPES

rhod-bulldog.gif

And I still have no idea which pipe doesn't belong!

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have picked up an estate Upshall labled Tilshead. It is a bit heavy but I do not find any fills etc that would make it a second. It has a B and FH stamped on it. I have not smoked it yet.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Let me guess Al.... It's probably one of those pipes in the picture... Right?

The third from the left... is that a Dunhill?

Just guessing, based on the dot.
That is a Dunhill, but it is not the one that doesn't belong....
I thought you guys would get this right away. Perhaps another clue is necessary: Some folks might be more likely to enjoy a glass of wine with one of the pipes on the rack, while a the rest would probably be more likely to be enjoyed with a pint of warm beer...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Would the Castello (far left) is the "glass of wine" because it's Italian. The rest appear to be English (Asthon, Upshall, Dunill, Charatan? and Ferndown?) hence the "warm pint"?
FYI, a "B" grade Upshall is one of their higher grades. That's quite a valuable (and sharp looking) pipe you have.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Bigvan is the winner! The Castello on the far left is the non-British pipe in the rack. Good eye, the Chartan (After Hours billiard) and Ferndown don't have visible logos. I thought the Double-Comfort bit would help ID the Charatan, but the Ferndown might be a challenge.
I'm looking for the right Comoy's to fill out the rack with proper Brits and get that riff-raff Italian pipe moved to another spot on the rack...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have the lower S grade, Loneredtree has the higher B grade. Here's the Upshall grading chart and price list. A new S-grade Upshall was definitely out of my pay grade....B's aren't even listed!

http://www.upshallusa.com/price_list.htm

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And their shape chart. By this, I guess mine is really a Square-Bent Rhodesian? I might email Barry Jones (no relation...) and find out when this was made.

http://www.upshallusa.com/shape_chart.htm

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Upshall pipes are of top quality and "were" also of top prices.Now Mr Ezrati sells hupshall on a ebay shop and sells (he say) pipes produced 10-20 years ago or pre-smoked.That sell it discurages tobacconists and pipe shops to get them for sale, for the reason that mr.Mordechai sells directely his pipe underpriced from the site.It's a competition between dealers and producer,that's could work in a middle period but not in a long period.Probably nobody want again to pay a lot for a pipe difficult to re-sale.That' seemed to happen also with Ashton pipes, but probably not so hardly.I own several uphall b grade some with silver ring and XL that on the official site are on sale for 1800 dollars and it's possible to buy on ebay directely from Moty for about 300 dollars pre-smoked (pre-smoked for down price?)

Maurizio

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:worship: bigvan rocks!

I hope one of these days my collection will develop to the point that I consider a lone Castello "riff-raff". :rofl:

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
The pipe on the right is the B grade Free Hand. I do not have an individual picture of it. I think I will fire it up tonight with some EMP.
pad-2011-6-22-600x238.jpg

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.