PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

msromike

Lurker
May 9, 2022
Bentonville AR
I want to buy my first meerschaum. I just had to return a new Paycok because the stem was drilled off center, and it used a very small plastic tenon into a plastic mortise insert which resulted in a poor draw. But the biggest thing was I was unable to pass a pipe cleaner through it without disassembly.

My one hard and fast rule is that a pipe cleaner needs to be able to go through the pipe to the bowl without disassembly. Is that unrealistic?

I would be interested in what brands to investigate that have a solid attachment system and are drilled correctly.

Reactions: kg.legat0

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I want to buy my first meerschaum. I just had to return a new Paycok because the stem was drilled off center, and it used a very small plastic tenon into a plastic mortise insert which resulted in a poor draw. But the biggest thing was I was unable to pass a pipe cleaner through it without disassembly.

My one hard and fast rule is that a pipe cleaner needs to be able to go through the pipe to the bowl without disassembly. Is that unrealistic?

I would be interested in what brands to investigate that have a solid attachment system and are drilled correctly.
Was it a straight meer? I have a few bents that need to be disassembled to run a pipe cleaner through. And one that even taken apart is hard to get a pipe cleaner through lol. It was cheap though. However that one still smokes good though. So that's not always an indication.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
it used a very small plastic tenon into a plastic mortise insert which resulted in a poor draw.
The newer replacement mortise and tenon inserts are more open, or the older tenon inserts can be drilled out. Though a couple of brands use a permanent mount mortise sleeve, most brands still use the screw in ones including the high dollar artisans.

20210903_040249.jpg

I will add that the repair of a damaged permanent mortise is fairly costly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not specific to meers, but I'm flexible on the pipe cleaner passing through the airway on bent pipes. Expecting a wire to do a U-turn in an airway seems a little fanciful. I have a number of more or less fully bent pipes that do allow that, but others don't. As long as the airway remains clear, or passes the pipe cleaner when the stem is removed, that is sufficient to me. Sustained good smoking from non-passing bent pipes has borne this out over time.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia

Maybe check out these guys… I’ve never ordered from them but I remember hearing good things. I’m pretty sure they ship to the states.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Well personally I think the passing a pipe cleaner thing is stupid as heck, but it seems I am in a small minority on that issue. I also don't know how people get things stuck in a stem or need to clear out moisture. But if you're not happy with the pipe you're not happy with the pipe and that's the most important factor.

Reactions: Streeper541

msromike

Lurker
May 9, 2022
Bentonville AR
I'll just buy it from the guys in Turkey, they all answered promptly and offered to run a pipe cleaner through it before shipping, and all said they can do a metal insert with a briar tenon.

It'll be my first meer so if I don't get it perfect I can improve on the next one. Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Maybe check out these guys… I’ve never ordered from them but I remember hearing good things. I’m pretty sure they ship to the states.
The briar mortise inserts give me pause. What happens when the briar swells from heat and moisture?

msromike

Lurker
May 9, 2022
Bentonville AR
Well personally I think the passing a pipe cleaner thing is stupid as heck, but it seems I am in a small minority on that issue. I also don't know how people get things stuck in a stem or need to clear out moisture. But if you're not happy with the pipe you're not happy with the pipe and that's the most important factor.

LOL, yeah maybe if I actually knew how to smoke the pipe correctly it wouldn't be as necessary. But being a 50 pack year reformed cig smoker I need to be able to run a pipe cleaner down to dry it out, cause I smoke WAY to fast.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I watched a youtube video with the owner in it. How I discovered Black Meerschaum. Look like good quality pipes. Also have some really cool Estates on their sight too! I like looking at the really hard smoked darkened meers!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
LOL, yeah maybe if I actually knew how to smoke the pipe correctly it wouldn't be as necessary. But being a 50 pack year reformed cig smoker I need to be able to run a pipe cleaner down to dry it out, cause I smoke WAY to fast.
hey you're not the only one. Lots of people that have smoked longer then either of us like the pipe cleaner test. wait does it count as a smoker if you smoke less then a pack a day. People act like it doesn't count when talking to their doctors.

Reactions: msromike

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Altinay, Altinok and IMP all make quality Meers. There are other quality carvers but I don't own pipes from them so I cannot comment. I think $225 to $325 will get you a really nice pipe from any of the 3. Mine all pass a pipe cleaner, that's a deal breaker for me as well.
I have a servi it's fine. It smokes great and is drilled fine and is not as nice looking and happens to be translucent.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The pipe cleaner test is not a deal breaker for me on estate meers, but it's always a bonus. I've got a few estate meers that smoke really well even though I have to fiddle with the cleaner to get it down the stem/shank. One of my meers is an older one that has a stinger style insert, and won't pass a cleaner, but it draws great.

Now if I'm buying a new meer at a higher price then it better be able to pass a cleaner.

Reactions: Briar Tuck