PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
I like a big bowl. I’m enjoying a couple of Savinelli 616s which are huge things. I have smaller pipes for running errands and carry. At my age I usually do very little running of any kind. In my quest for big bowls I ran across this biggie, a Peterson XL315. I ordered it, my biggest bowl yet. Big bowls fit my needs as front porch long winded smokers. IMG_0092.jpeg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I like a big bowl. I’m enjoying a couple of Savinelli 616s which are huge things. I have smaller pipes for running errands and carry. At my age I usually do very little running of any kind. In my quest for big bowls I ran across this biggie, a Peterson XL315. I ordered it, my biggest bowl yet. Big bowls fit my needs as front porch long winded smokers. View attachment 302966
I like big bowls, i can not deny!

I tend to load a bowl and smoke it off and on a few minutes at a time, helps with my cigar habit, sometimes i'll smoke an entire bowl but usually it's a 2 or so hour process so larger bowls def suit my needs.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
Got the pipe today. Smokes like a Peterson, smoke is reasonably cool and a hint of “new”. However the bowl gets so hot I can’t touch it. We’re talking ridiculously hot to the touch. Will cake build lessen the outside heat? Is the briar possibly green causing this?

Reactions: AroEnglish

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Got the pipe today. Smokes like a Peterson, smoke is reasonably cool and a hint of “new”. However the bowl gets so hot I can’t touch it. We’re talking ridiculously hot to the touch. Will cake build lessen the outside heat? Is the briar possibly green causing this?
I have and have had several 315’s
But I’ve never had that occur with one. The newest one I have is a 2022 and it does fine. The only pipe thats ever done it to me is a Savinelli 320ks but it has gotten better over time so maybe the cake helped it out ?
What tobacco are you smoking and how long is the bowl lasting you ?

Reactions: Buzzard

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
I have and have had several 315’s
But I’ve never had that occur with one. The newest one I have is a 2022 and it does fine. The only pipe thats ever done it to me is a Savinelli 320ks but it has gotten better over time so maybe the cake helped it out ?
What tobacco are you smoking and how long is the bowl lasting you ?
Prince Albert. It’s my only tobacco. I have several other pipes including a Peterson 307, its bowl walls seem to be about as thick. In my many years of pipe smoking and dozens of pipes I’ve never had one close to this in the hot category. I’ve smoked PA for over 50 years. It’s a family tradition

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Prince Albert. It’s my only tobacco. I have several other pipes including a Peterson 307, its bowl walls seem to be about as thick. In my many years of pipe smoking and dozens of pipes I’ve never had one close to this in the hot category. I’ve smoked PA for over 50 years. It’s a family tradition
Let some cake build up, most of my Petes have English Blends run through them at some point and all have a decent but unobtrusive or un obstructive layer of cake.
50 years is longer than my 35 and being none of your others have done it sounds exactly like my Savinelli issues with that particular 320.
Could be the briar, lack of cake insulation or a combination of both is my best guess.
I can say the cake build up should remedy it or at least it did in my case.

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Buzzard, if chain smoking a briar pipe works for you, I imagine that's a good thing. I have always been of the belief that briar pipes should be allowed to rest a few days after smoking a bowl or two. Just a heads-up, here are a few reasons why for you to consider:

Resting a briar pipe after smoking is a common practice among pipe enthusiasts. While it’s not strictly necessary, there are several reasons why many pipe smokers choose to let their briar pipes rest for a day or more:

1. Moisture Evaporation: When you smoke a pipe, it accumulates moisture from the tobacco. Allowing the pipe to rest allows this moisture to evaporate, preventing it from lingering inside the pipe. A dry pipe tends to smoke better and provides a more enjoyable experience.
  2. Cooling Down: Pipes heat up during smoking due to the combustion process. Resting the pipe allows it to cool down, which can help prevent overheating and potential damage to the briar wood.
  3. Flavor Enhancement: Resting allows the pipe to recover fully, enhancing the flavors of different tobacco blends. When a pipe is too wet, it may mute some of the subtle nuances in the tobacco.
  4. Wood Rejuvenation: Briar pipes are made from porous wood. Resting allows the wood to rejuvenate, ensuring it remains in good condition. Over time, the natural resins in the briar can migrate through the wood, leading to a better smoking experience.
  5. Avoiding Mold and Odor: Chronic dampness inside the pipe can lead to mold growth and unpleasant odors. Resting the pipe helps keep it dry and fresh.

Buzzard

Lurker
Mar 10, 2024
Buzzard, if chain smoking a briar pipe works for you, I imagine that's a good thing. I have always been of the belief that briar pipes should be allowed to rest a few days after smoking a bowl or two. Just a heads-up, here are a few reasons why for you to consider:

Resting a briar pipe after smoking is a common practice among pipe enthusiasts. While it’s not strictly necessary, there are several reasons why many pipe smokers choose to let their briar pipes rest for a day or more:

1. Moisture Evaporation: When you smoke a pipe, it accumulates moisture from the tobacco. Allowing the pipe to rest allows this moisture to evaporate, preventing it from lingering inside the pipe. A dry pipe tends to smoke better and provides a more enjoyable experience.
  2. Cooling Down: Pipes heat up during smoking due to the combustion process. Resting the pipe allows it to cool down, which can help prevent overheating and potential damage to the briar wood.
  3. Flavor Enhancement: Resting allows the pipe to recover fully, enhancing the flavors of different tobacco blends. When a pipe is too wet, it may mute some of the subtle nuances in the tobacco.
  4. Wood Rejuvenation: Briar pipes are made from porous wood. Resting allows the wood to rejuvenate, ensuring it remains in good condition. Over time, the natural resins in the briar can migrate through the wood, leading to a better smoking experience.
  5. Avoiding Mold and Odor: Chronic dampness inside the pipe can lead to mold growth and unpleasant odors. Resting the pipe helps keep it dry and fresh. I’m not concerned about causing this pipe to season, build cake or smoke tastefully. The damned thing smokes ridiculously hot so hot if you could stand it give serious burns. I was trying to build cake to get the pipe to smoke cooler- that didn’t happen. I’ve been smoking pipes for over 50 years. I think I know how to care for pipes properly. Thanks for your po

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

5. Avoiding Mold and Odor: Chronic dampness inside the pipe can lead to mold growth and unpleasant odors. Resting the pipe helps keep it dry and fresh.
I think a lot of this is conjecture. The only way to get people to buy multiple pipes is to tell them to only smoke each pipe every couple days, plenty of people smoke the same pipe multiple times every day.

Reactions: Buzzard