Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I'd think it's at least 100 years old. Ammonia fumed quarter sawn oak gain popularity at the end of the 19th century and fell out of favor by the second quarter of the 20th century. It really reached it zenith in the early 20's. They were still making that kind of stuff in the 40's but it was stylistically much different and would likely have been made of walnut as opposed to oak as it was more fashionable.

This is of course all just based on theory, without a makers mark or label its nearly impossible to put a specific date on something like that. If your shipping was 30% of what you paid for it, I'd say you did pretty well. Now just look it over and find that Gustav Stickley mark. 😊

stickley.PNG

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have a similar one which holds 7, and the rests are open "u" shaped, not closed holes. Rolls pretty smoothly. I don't think it has a maker's mark on it but haven't looked in a while. Also got it off of Ebay, maybe ~ $70...

I use it as my "hospital" and put pipes in there that need some attention of one sort or another. The rest stay out on open racks or on shelves with tins, or in the side compartment of... oh hell, you get the idea.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'd think it's at least 100 years old. Ammonia fumed quarter sawn oak gain popularity at the end of the 19th century and fell out of favor by the second quarter of the 20th century. It really reached it zenith in the early 20's. They were still making that kind of stuff in the 40's but it was stylistically much different and would likely have been made of walnut as opposed to oak as it was more fashionable.

This is of course all just based on theory, without a makers mark or label its nearly impossible to put a specific date on something like that. If your shipping was 30% of what you paid for it, I'd say you did pretty well. Now just look it over and find that Gustav Stickley mark. 😊

View attachment 276700
I just revisited my purchase and it actually was more like 40% of the order. It was a steal to say the least.