PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one should start out looking for vast samplings of blends. I think if you start out getting to know a few

well-known bulk blends by major blenders, a few Dunhill blends, and maybe try a sampler or two in your

category of preference, that will give you a fair start. Then read the offerings online at a few of the big

retailers, and over time, sample modest quantities, until you learn more what you like. It's gradual. Don't

over-buy, and don't buy five pounds of the first tobacco that makes you say, "Wow!" And remember, your

tastes will change. But yes, I too am in awe of the numbers of blends, and I wonder if many of them maintain

their taste or if they wander in flavor as their sources change. I am always amazed at the number of aromatics

available; clearly, there is a huge aromatics market out there. Forums people as a group seem to lean toward

non-aromatics of various kinds; I know I do. But someone is buying all those cherry, almond, walnut, caramel,

whiskey, brandy, amaretto, and etc. on-and-on. They are selling all of that, and stocking it, for someone, and

a great many of them.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I share almost the exact same sentiments as cmdrmcbragg. Assuming all goes well, I have at least fifty more years to live. That'd put me right at seventy-fiive. That's quite a few years to experience different tobacco's. I think, for now, I'd rather find a few tobacco's I really like, and find satisfaction in smoking those.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks Bob, and yes, it can be a bit overwhelming, but the shear joy and excitement of opening a new tin of tobacco and smoking a bowl, good or bad.. never gets old. It is the chase that keeps me in the hunt ;)

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
I've found forums to be super helpful in recommendations for techniques and for tobaccos to try. The single best move i've made so far is buying a lot of corncobs to try new tobaccos in to ensure I don't ghost the pipes I smoke daily.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@lostandfound, we continue to agree again. I have a few I have found to like and I throw in a new one as I explore or follow a trend that may be in my wheelhouse. I don't have the money to spend on boxes of tins of shit I know nothing about. Every P&C order I make is around $30 and always included something I know I like and something I haven't had yet. I'll jar up some of the new stuff for later, smoke the rest and maybe I'll buy it again in another P&C order ... maybe I won't. But I'm not going to buy tins or bags of bulk not having a clue if I may even like it right now, let alone down the road.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
I was grounded fast. First mistake middletons cherry blend. Headed to Jacks pipe shop with burnt tongue where the old guys set me straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.