New Presbyterian Danish Flake coming soon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Been wanting to check out Orientals without or with very little Latakia so far Sutliff PS-24 has been great I have a tin of Robert McConnell Oriental to try and I've tried C&D Oriental silk but the Perique is overpowering , jarred it till I can actually taste things again , I have G.L. Pease Caravan to try , If you have any other blends to try Lemme Know.
I'm all ears and thanks for the Peretiti's tip...
Have you tried Bijou? That got recommended to me a lot but I’ve yet to try it. I wonder if that would fit the bill for you. I have a local B&M that has an oriental blend called Country Kitchen that I really love so I’m on the same mission as you.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I certainly haven’t tried all of the Pease blends—I’m extremely sensitive to perique, and Greg has a particular fondness for that leaf!—but, to me, Charing Cross is the most oriental-forward of the Pease Balkans.

In terms of latakia “weight,” I’d probably rank them like this, from “least” to “most” (although your mileage may vary!):

Charing Cross
Ashbury
Kensington
Caravan
Abingdon
Odyssey

I can’t think of another blender that offers so many variations on the traditional Balkan recipe as GLPease.

If you’d like strength (i.e., nicotine) in a heavy latakia blend, I’d suggest McConnell’s Latakia Flake. I’m a lightweight when it comes to nicotine, and I couldn’t make it past a couple of puffs of my first (and only) bowl.

For a strong oriental blend with very little latakia, I’d recommend Rattray’s Red Rapparee. To me, this is a couple of steps beyond Presbyterian in the oriental department.

And if I could I’d also recommend a number of the blends from the discontinued Grand Orientals series that McClelland produced. If you can find them gathering dust in the back of some shop—or on the estate market—you might really enjoy them. I believe there were six mixtures, each focused on a single oriental leaf. There were a wonderful way to figure out which orientals were sweet (Basma) and which were spicier (Drama), etc. As I recall, only one of these blends, Yenidje Highlander, also included latakia (which, technically, is still an oriental tobacco).
thanks so much for the thoughtful and concise reply
Have you tried Bijou? That got recommended to me a lot but I’ve yet to try it. I wonder if that would fit the bill for you. I have a local B&M that has an oriental blend called Country Kitchen that I really love so I’m on the same mission as you.
sorry that was Sutliff ts-24 I mentioned all oriental no Lat , if you haven’t tried very good stuff straight and great for blending , Bijou is the great very good tangy stuff

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I certainly haven’t tried all of the Pease blends—I’m extremely sensitive to perique, and Greg has a particular fondness for that leaf!—but, to me, Charing Cross is the most oriental-forward of the Pease Balkans.

In terms of latakia “weight,” I’d probably rank them like this, from “least” to “most” (although your mileage may vary!):

Charing Cross
Ashbury
Kensington
Caravan
Abingdon
Odyssey

I can’t think of another blender that offers so many variations on the traditional Balkan recipe as GLPease.

If you’d like strength (i.e., nicotine) in a heavy latakia blend, I’d suggest McConnell’s Latakia Flake. I’m a lightweight when it comes to nicotine, and I couldn’t make it past a couple of puffs of my first (and only) bowl.

For a strong oriental blend with very little latakia, I’d recommend Rattray’s Red Rapparee. To me, this is a couple of steps beyond Presbyterian in the oriental department.

And if I could I’d also recommend a number of the blends from the discontinued Grand Orientals series that McClelland produced. If you can find them gathering dust in the back of some shop—or on the estate market—you might really enjoy them. I believe there were six mixtures, each focused on a single oriental leaf. There were a wonderful way to figure out which orientals were sweet (Basma) and which were spicier (Drama), etc. As I recall, only one of these blends, Yenidje Highlander, also included latakia (which, technically, is still an oriental tobacco).
thanks so much for the thoughtful and concise reply
sorry that was Sutliff ts-24 I mentioned all oriental no Lat , if you haven’t tried very good stuff straight and great for blending , Bijou is the bomb , very good tangy stuff
As much as you announce that one, I'm glad you don't know about the other straight orientals I smoke. 😁
as It's a major blender no chance it'll ever run dry ...I mean what would happen to all them English house blends with " Oriental" , if you DM me some other straight Orientals I promise , I'll shut up already ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers