PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I think they just look at it as a commodity to be used right away. Not something to be put in a cellar. Or maybe they want people to buy more bulk
Or the new tins they bought just didn't perform: they don't hold a vacuum, as a result of which their lids fall off. Hence, the workarounds like the cardboard inserts and hot glue, and now shrink wrap. I doubt they threw away their vacuum machines.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Just read somewhere, that the current drop of SG tins May not be properly sealed. Multiple people in the post said they checked theirs and most were found to have zero suction/seal. The posters dated his cans as 4/21.

I saw that the newer tins have a plastic strip around the tin and lid seal. Not sure if that’s normal.

Take it for what it’s worth. Just passing the info.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Just read somewhere, that the current drop of SG tins May not be properly sealed. Multiple people in the post said they checked theirs and most were found to have zero suction/seal. The posters dated his cans as 4/21.

I saw that the newer tins have a plastic strip around the tin and lid seal. Not sure if that’s normal

Take it for what it’s worth. Just passing the info.
Did you read it here?..............
No sir from Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/r7kl6n

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Did you read it here?..............
I see now there might be a relation. I didn’t realize that. Mods can delete or lock this post if necessary. Sorry.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
" I see there's a seal film around them but these can't be vacuum sealed."

Please explain your reasoning behind this. How do you know just from looking at the tin that it is not vacuum sealed? The heat sealed plastic around the tin is the anti-tamper device and as long as this is not broken then it is doing the exact job it is meant to be and showing the tin has not been tampered with.

Every single tin is vacuum sealed. Each tin is placed by hand into the vacuum sealing machine and then it is heat sealed separately.

At the end of the day we produce and sell our tobacco to be smoked, not for long term storage. So long as the tobacco is still good and high quality then that is what matters.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
To address this yet again

1) Every single tin is vacuum sealed in the factory. Each tin is placed in the vacuum sealer by hand, it is vacuum sealed.
2) Just because the tin lid comes off relatively easily does not mean it was not vacuum sealed. In the past we had complaints that tin lids were too difficult to get off. You should not need to spend ages trying to get a lid off with a coin! A tin does not need to "pop" when opened to mean that the there was a vacuum seal. You should not need to really yank on a tin lid to prove it had a vacuum seal. Lids can still come off relatively easily and the tin was still vacuum sealed.
3) A year or two back the original suppler of the square tins stopped producing them so we had to find a new supplier. Despite rigorous testing and guarantees, these newer tins did not seal as well as we had hoped and were not as strong and so as a temporary measure we put in the cardboard inserts while we used up the supply and designed, sourced and received new tins. It can take many months to do this and so we cannot just switch to a new tin in a matter of days.
4) The heat seal is an anti-tamper device to ensure that tins have not been opened. It is not a "vacuum seal". The tins are all vacuum sealed before going into the machine that puts the plastic heat seal around the edge. It is two separate things.
5) The new tins all seal well, although of course no system is 100% fool-proof and many other factors come into play such as how the tins are treated in carriage and storage of which we have little control over.
6) Our tobacco is sold to be smoked and enjoyed. Not necessarily for long term storage.

Jun 25, 2021
England
" I see there's a seal film around them but these can't be vacuum sealed."

Please explain your reasoning behind this. How do you know just from looking at the tin that it is not vacuum sealed? The heat sealed plastic around the tin is the anti-tamper device and as long as this is not broken then it is doing the exact job it is meant to be and showing the tin has not been tampered with.

Every single tin is vacuum sealed. Each tin is placed by hand into the vacuum sealing machine and then it is heat sealed separately.

At the end of the day we produce and sell our tobacco to be smoked, not for long term storage. So long as the tobacco is still good and high quality then that is what matters.
The tobacco is good and high quality.
I'm just going to keep on buying it as long as you keep making it.
These days there's no other tobacco I'm interested in.
The best is still the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.