Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I'm not a big cigar smoker, but I stash two or three dozen or so. I also have a couple of pouches of pipe tobacco that I keep humidified.

My humidor needs were met for years by a mini-suitcase of black ABS plastic with foam inserts. That, plus a Boveda pack and a hygrometer, was effective and low maintenance.

Recently, my older son came into possession of a Newair CC-100 humidor. A buddy of his who was moving gave it up; my son offered it to me since he had one of his own. I said OK.

As I began cleaning the Newair I noticed a skunk-like odor that I do not associate with tobacco. I live in a state where pot is legal for medical use and it makes sense that the owner would want it properly humidified. But I didn't want the smell contaminating my tobacco. I placed open trays of baking soda on each level of the humidor, and after two weeks my NewAir smells fresh and clean. Success.

Humidification has been less successful. I bought a 72% 320 gram Boveda pack. (I used them for years in my ABS humidor which was tightly sealed.) After a week, my humidor is a steady 67%. I tried moving the pack to a middle shelf, and it's 65% now.

I'm not sure what to do about this. Nor am I sure this is a problem. What do y'all say? Constructive thoughts appreciated.

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I'm not a big cigar smoker, but I stash two or three dozen or so. I also have a couple of pouches of pipe tobacco that I keep humidified.

My humidor needs were met for years by a mini-suitcase of black ABS plastic with foam inserts. That, plus a Boveda pack and a hygrometer, was effective and low maintenance.

Recently, my older son came into possession of a Newair CC-100 humidor. A buddy of his who was moving gave it up; my son offered it to me since he had one of his own. I said OK.

As I began cleaning the Newair I noticed a skunk-like odor that I do not associate with tobacco. I live in a state where pot is legal for medical use and it makes sense that the owner would want it properly humidified. But I didn't want the smell contaminating my tobacco. I placed open trays of baking soda on each level of the humidor, and after two weeks my NewAir smells fresh and clean. Success.

Humidification has been less successful. I bought a 72% 320 gram Boveda pack. (I used them for years in my ABS humidor which was tightly sealed.) After a week, my humidor is a steady 67%. I tried moving the pack to a middle shelf, and it's 65% now.

I'm not sure what to do about this. Nor am I sure this is a problem. What do y'all say? Constructive thoughts appreciated.

View attachment 225125

View attachment 225126
Score!!

Reactions: greysmoke

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
RH over 70% is a recipe for disaster on account of tobacco beetles and mold. Keep it lower (i.e.: enjoy the 65% RH). That way, if the air gets a little humid, your cigars are buffered against that temporary change.

Incidentally, is the hygrometer able to be calibrated? It could be off.

Reactions: greysmoke

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have the CC-300 and keep a tray of food grade propylene glycol in it in lieu of other humidification. This has worked very well for me. It holds the humidity at a proper level without the need to use the hygrometer at all plus, if you aren't opening the door very often a 1" deep level of PG in the tray can last years.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I have 2 of these style humidors, all be it larger and I live in a high plains desert. It was some trial and error once I first got mine but have been stable for a very long time. I can remember mopping water out of the bottom of them early on, not good.

This may not work for everyone particularly when you take into account external factors of temp and humidity such as warmer climates.

I have them in a fairly dark basement room that stays cool year round. This allows me to not even run the compressors at all, the only thing plugged into an outlet are some fans on a timer in the bottom to circulate air every 30 minutes. I also sealed the backs with nontoxic odorless sealant, any vents or drain holes. These are pretty much airtight. I know it's not very cost affective but super stable using more than the recommend levels of Boveda. I use several of the larger sizes. I run consistent 65%, have really quick recovery once I dig through them and do not have to think about them at all.

Good luck with your new humidor. 65% is the sweet spot for me.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon