PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Is Waltham broken cake supposed to be an aromatic? I get confused with words like "hints of cocoa" and things like that.
I consider it to be a mild aromatic. The toppings have a bit of depth, but the tobaccos have plenty of punch.

Here's my review:
The dark air cured burley provides plenty of earth, wood, nuts, bread, light dry sour sharpness, molasses, and a pinch or two of spice as the lead component. The dark fired Kentucky produces a lot of earth, wood, herbs, vegetation, floralness, some spice, nuts, mild sourness, smoke, and light barbecue. It’s an important supporting player that adds body and depth to the proceedings. The flue cured Virginia offers light tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, and a pinch of spice in a condimental role. The strength is a step past the medium mark. The taste is a slot past that. The nic-hit is a rung under the medium threshold. Won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few very small rough notes. The dark rum and lightly applied cocoa toppings mildly tone down the tobaccos as they synergistically help form a mostly consistent, deeply rich, sweet, nutty, spicy, mildly smooth, smoky, lightly savory flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. The thick broken pieces are mildly moist, but I did not dry them as per my usual custom. Your mileage may vary on this point. It’s well balanced with a little subtle complexity as it burns cool, clean, and a bit slow. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. I suggest a wide bowl for this blend for optimal effect. Four stars.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I consider it to be a mild aromatic. The toppings have a bit of depth, but the tobaccos have plenty of punch.

Here's my review:
The dark air cured burley provides plenty of earth, wood, nuts, bread, light dry sour sharpness, molasses, and a pinch or two of spice as the lead component. The dark fired Kentucky produces a lot of earth, wood, herbs, vegetation, floralness, some spice, nuts, mild sourness, smoke, and light barbecue. It’s an important supporting player that adds body and depth to the proceedings. The flue cured Virginia offers light tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, sugar, floralness, and a pinch of spice in a condimental role. The strength is a step past the medium mark. The taste is a slot past that. The nic-hit is a rung under the medium threshold. Won’t bite or get harsh. Has a few very small rough notes. The dark rum and lightly applied cocoa toppings mildly tone down the tobaccos as they synergistically help form a mostly consistent, deeply rich, sweet, nutty, spicy, mildly smooth, smoky, lightly savory flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. The thick broken pieces are mildly moist, but I did not dry them as per my usual custom. Your mileage may vary on this point. It’s well balanced with a little subtle complexity as it burns cool, clean, and a bit slow. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. I suggest a wide bowl for this blend for optimal effect. Four stars.
Quite excited to try. Watch City Slices was one of my favorite. Just a fantastic blend and I was bummed to see it go. Hoping they're somewhat close in flavor profile, although it sounds like Waltham may have a bit more topping and depth?