Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GatorElGato

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Ohio
instagram.com
I never understood the appeal of Muttnchops videos. I found them to be unbearable.

The only person I’ll watch occasionally is Bremen Pipe Smoker. I don’t get the sense he trying to be something he’s not. I also appreciate the way he ties in the various German locations and history into his videos.
Likewise, Muttonchop for me is too long winded, I'm more of a nwpipesmoker fan.

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
Stereotyping as an absolute is problematic in many ways. However, generalizing for the sake of conversation, is a necessity.

From my experience, there is a pipe smoker type in that certain traits are more in common than not. More so today than perhaps 50 years ago, but a type none the less.

No one wishes to be put into a box, but in reading through this forum, present and past threads, certain similar elements reflective of the posters seems to show up as common among those who participate.

From my experience, there is a pipe smoker type in that certain traits are more in common than not. More so today than perhaps 50 years ago, but a type none the less.
Ha ha, I live in the area of the US with the most pipe smokers. I am curious as to how many pipesmokers you come into contact with.
The Briary smoking lounge, here, will have farmers, laborers, businessmen, professors, complete morons, psychopathic bikers, and the occasional downtrodden cob smoker. Pipe smokers, even on this forum make up the most variety of people ever. I have yet to see a type.

Now, if you only experience with other pipesmokers is youtube and pipe shows, you are merely seeing a small niche of pipe smokers.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I think the type we are talking here is general personality traits. Such as an enjoyment of thoughtful relaxation, something requiring skill and nuance, enjoyers of solitude, or like company. Those willing to think for themselves and take pleasurable risks in life.

Not like, let’s all sit around and talk about our stamp collection type.

I would love to have been a visitor to the Briary and meet your cast of characters @cosmicfolklore . I used to live in southern Alabama and never made it up. Work was too hard to get way from and other priorities took precedence .

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
No one wishes to be put into a box, but in reading through this forum, present and past threads, certain similar elements reflective of the posters seems to show up as common among those who participate.

Now, if you only experience with other pipesmokers is youtube and pipe shows, you are merely seeing a small niche of pipe smokers.

+1. The people who are driven to spend all day chatting about a hobby online or making YouTube videos are just a subset of the community. "Community" might even be too expansive of a term, considering how many people smoke pipes, fish, ride bikes, work on cars, paint, invest, etc, and could not care less about anybody else who does. ;)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I never understood the appeal of Muttnchops videos. I found them to be unbearable.

The only person I’ll watch occasionally is Bremen Pipe Smoker. I don’t get the sense he trying to be something he’s not. I also appreciate the way he ties in the various German locations and history into his videos.
He's the only one I watch as well.

The Algerian

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2022
Golden Valley, AZ
The Briary smoking lounge, here, will have farmers, laborers, businessmen, professors, complete morons, psychopathic bikers, and the occasional downtrodden cob smoker. Pipe smokers, even on this forum make up the most variety of people ever. I have yet to see a type.

The Algerian:

From my experience, there is a pipe smoker type in that certain traits are more in common than not.
I clearly said traits.

You provided a list of occupations for the most part.
Rephrase the question: Why does someone enjoy taking up a pipe?
The list that might develop would at some type be able to be grouped into a few traits.
For what it's worth since you asked, Golden Valley has more than its share of pipe smokers.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I never really cared for YouTube pipe channels, save for a few individual videos here and there which were either entertaining (both intentionally and unintentionally) or informative. I think the proliferation of YouTube instructional videos plays a part in overcomplicating things for newbies.

I clearly said traits.

You provided a list of occupations for the most part.
Rephrase the question: Why does someone enjoy taking up a pipe?
The list that might develop would at some type be able to be grouped into a few traits.
For what it's worth since you asked, Golden Valley has more than its share of pipe smokers.
I guess I should have just said... psychopaths, sociopaths, reflective thinkers, personality disorders, absolute morons, geniuses, and the list goes on...

I was a mod here for a while... hang out, you'll find that even on here many of these guys hate human beings, ha ha. And, many have something really wrong with them.

People come to pipes to consume tobacco. (period) that is all that links us in this so called brotherhood.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Stereotyping as an absolute is problematic in many ways. However, generalizing for the sake of conversation, is a necessity.

love how what a pipe smoker is changes over the years. From anyone and everyone to peasants are the ones that smoke pipes fancy people stick tobacco up their nose......
That's why I define a pipe smoker as someone that intentionally burns leaves in a pipe so they can put that smoke in their mouth or lungs.