PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I smoked a pipe back in college, over 20 years ago. I was living in Boston and got a basket pipe and a tobacco blend called "Faneuil hall" which I'm told is Lane IQ. It was a pleasant experience but I didn't know what I was doing (the internet was still a new thing) and lost interest.

All these years later I've returned and am trying to do it right. I've bought a few Savinelli's of different shapes and sizes to try and different blends. I'm really enjoying it and I find it is a meditative hobby that helps the rest of my day to be more peaceful.

Looking forward to learning all I can from this forum! Thank you-

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Welcome from the northwest side of the city. We have a few terrific resources for the new or experienced pipe smoker here. There are well stocked and staffed proper brick and mortar tobacconists in the city and suburbs and perhaps more importantly, the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. They have get togethers at least monthly.

Next one is a social smoke (as in, not a formal club meeting) at Iwan Ries downtown on Sat, Nov 27. If you want to get a twofer - meet the club _and_ visit the oldest continuously operated family owned tobacconist in the nation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I grew up in an adjacent northwest suburb of Chicago and went to school at U of I Chicago for my first two years of college. Family works at the Art Institute of Chicago and Loyola.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I smoked a pipe back in college, over 20 years ago. I was living in Boston and got a basket pipe and a tobacco blend called "Faneuil hall" which I'm told is Lane IQ. It was a pleasant experience but I didn't know what I was doing (the internet was still a new thing) and lost interest.

All these years later I've returned and am trying to do it right. I've bought a few Savinelli's of different shapes and sizes to try and different blends. I'm really enjoying it and I find it is a meditative hobby that helps the rest of my day to be more peaceful.

Welcome from the northwest side of the city. We have a few terrific resources for the new or experienced pipe smoker here. There are well stocked and staffed proper brick and mortar tobacconists in the city and suburbs and perhaps more importantly, the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club. They have get togethers at least monthly.

Next one is a social smoke (as in, not a formal club meeting) at Iwan Ries downtown on Sat, Nov 27. If you want to get a twofer - meet the club _and_ visit the oldest continuously operated family owned tobacconist in the nation.
Hello, thank you for that invitation and welcome. I realize that we are at an advantage being in Chicago and so close to Iwan Ries. I've been over there a couple of times and spoke with Harry who was extremely helpful and a good guy. I picked up a Savinelli Mattone 626 and a bunch of accessories and assorted tobaccos.

I look forward to possibly joining one of these meetings and getting to know some other Chicago pipe smokers. Are there some other pipe tobacco shops in Illinois that are worth checking out? Thanks again!

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome I look forward to jumping in and learning more about this beautiful art!

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee

Welcome from East Tennessee

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I look forward to possibly joining one of these meetings and getting to know some other Chicago pipe smokers. Are there some other pipe tobacco shops in Illinois that are worth checking out? Thanks again!
Absolutely! Where I am in Old Irving Park, it's a half hour metra ride to either Ries downtown or Arlington Pipe and Cigar in Arlington Heights. I almost always choose the latter as they have a much more comfortable lounge.

In the city there's also Up Down on Wells in Old Town. Out in the western burbs, La Vita has a small, but impressive tobacco selection, tho few pipes. There's another one up north in Lake County whose name I forget that I've heard good things about. Come to a club meeting and ask!

If you can make it for Nov 27, there's the big club holiday party at Arlington on Dec 11. Or that shop's own customer appreciation event Dec 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.