PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm trying out a bunch of new (to me) virginias this summer. Newminster Navy 400 stands out amongst the many I've been sampling and I am curious as to why.

In the reviews on TobaccoReviews.com folks mention things like sweet bread dough, and I think JimInks even uses "Caramel" and "butter" as descriptors.

To me it definitely is much sweeter than other virginias I'm trying to the point that it is almost an aromatic by comparison. That's a bit of an exaggeration of course, but I find it hard to believe that my palette picks up that much sweetness from an untopped straight virginia.

What experiences do you have and am I right that there's a noticeable flavor added to it?

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm trying out a bunch of new (to me) virginias this summer. Newminster Navy 400 stands out amongst the many I've been sampling and I am curious as to why.

In the reviews on TobaccoReviews.com folks mention things like sweet bread dough, and I think JimInks even uses "Caramel" and "butter" as descriptors.

To me it definitely is much sweeter than other virginias I'm trying to the point that it is almost an aromatic by comparison. That's a bit of an exaggeration of course, but I find it hard to believe that my palette picks up that much sweetness from an untopped straight virginia.

What experiences do you have and am I right that there's a noticeable flavor added to it?
That was one of my older reviews, and you mistook my description of the tobacco for the topping. I can see why you did, too. I just rewrote it for accuracy. Yes, there is an obvious citrus topping which is noticeable even at the char light. Thanks for pointing this out to me so I could fix an old review.

Here's the new version:
The Virginias are mildly tart and tangy citrusy, sugary, bready, grassy, lightly woody and earthy with a few drops of honey notes, and a pinch of spice and floralness. The sweet citrus topping mildly tones down the tobacco. The flakes easily break apart for a fairly smooth, very moderate burn rate. The taste may be fairly one dimensional, but it's an all day sweet smoke that wears well while you go about your business. The strength and nic-hit are just below the center of mild to medium. The taste is a notch past that mark. Won't bite or get harsh, but does have a few minor rough edges. The cool, clean flavor is very consistent to the finish, requiring an average number of relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering room note and after taste. Makes a nice companion for tea or coffee, too.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Yes, it's definitely topped with Golden Grahams cereal... But that's just my opinion. Love the stuff!
That's what I got when fresh. After sitting/airing out for a while I get more of a honey/citrus.

What, in my perception was the topping, and what came from the varietals, I do not know. I would agree that it is topped, but not heavily, in fact it's one of the blends I first think of when thinking of blends that have been topped very minimally and to great success.

Steveage

Lurker
May 22, 2022
I can't get past the taste of Newminster Golden Grahams.
I like Sutliff Virginia Slices.
I love Orlik Golden Sliced.
But then I'm new to Virginia tobacco .......So don't my word on anything!