PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I've been on a Latakia kick and I'm looking to expand that part of my cellar.

What are some good Latakia blends that are strong in the nicotine department?

I'd perfer suggestions of blends that are available.

It's my understanding that Latakia itself cannot be not high in nicotine, but the blend in which it's used can be.

***please don't post the curmudgeonly crap about pipe tobacco not having nicotine. I know you fellas are badasses, but still.***

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Look to the east, young man. Germany to be precise. Olaf's Favourite English from HU tobacco & available from estervals. I've never come across a stronger English blend. I gave some to an old boy who's been smoking since the 60's & he hadn't either, said it was like Nightcap on steroids!?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I can't top Simong's suggestion but The Country Squire has 3 aromatics: P.S. Blend (mild no bite), Hunter Creek (medium), Northwest Trek. Northwest Trek is heaviest latakia and strong (I had to take a nap after bowl) I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarrettes a day and I thought it was strong. of course it was a large pipe too.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I've been on a Latakia kick and I'm looking to expand that part of my cellar.

What are some good Latakia blends that are strong in the nicotine department?

I'd perfer suggestions of blends that are available.

It's my understanding that Latakia itself cannot be not high in nicotine, but the blend in which it's used can be.

***please don't post the curmudgeonly crap about pipe tobacco not having nicotine. I know you fellas are badasses, but still.***
Wilke Pipe Tobacco, High Hat. It has perique, Kentucky, and Latakia. Great stuff. Also check out blend 400.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm not sure how heavy it is on the nicotine spectrum, buy Byzantium is one of my favorite English blends with a bit of orientals and perique mixed with the Latakia.

I've seen you are a fan of perique, so this may be up your alley. It's also available in bulk.

When I want to make a blend more stout, I make a parfait with Five Brothers burley.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
When I want to make a blend more stout, I make a parfait with Five Brothers burley.

I do this often.. Never with very good results. As a matter of fact I considered just buying a couple pounds of latakia and mixing it with my stronger blends.. Thinking that might be a better route.

I Smoked a sample of Byzantium a while back, and I remember much about it. I should give her another try.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You'll probably do well if you go with American/English style blends that feature burley prominently. That's going to raise the nicotine over any traditional English. C&D makes quite a few blends in this style... I'd argue it's there signature style.

Some examples:
  • Adagio
  • Old Joe Krantz Red
  • Joie de Vivre
  • Morley's Best
  • Crowley's Best
  • Atlas Balkan