Non-Floral Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I might want to grab that Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. jar that SP is throwing in with the purchase of $40+ of GH bulk tobacco, but I'm not a fan of Lakeland essences. I assume the unscented stuff is the way to go (although I'm reading that even those blends can be laced with Lakeland aromas).

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Of course, several of the blends I was eyeballing have now disappeared. :rolleyes: Feel recommend for future reference.

Last edited:

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Of the blends they have in stock as of a moment ago, Kendal #7 (not #7 Broken Flake), Dark Bird's Eye, and Dark Flake Unscented are all winners with no Lakeland essence that I can detect. That Dark Flake nicotine packs a real punch, though.

Aside from those, Brown Flake Unscented is fantastic.

Last edited:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’ll second Brown Flake Unscented, as well as Balkan Mixture, and, if you’re open to the possibility of a whisper of Lakeland scenting, Bob’s Chocolate Flake.

You occasionally get some slight scenting even on “unscented” flakes because they are all produced using the same (ancient) equipment.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I'll 2nd Dark Birds Eye. I don't pick up much, if any, floral essence in that one and I've a couple pounds of it stashed away.

Best Brown Flake #2 is one of my all time favorites, but it's unavailable.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
All of their Tobacco seems to have slight amount of essence just because of the machinery/bins that process it, the shag stuff appears to have a hint of it, as others have mentioned The Kendal dark (dark-fired Malawi) The Kendal Kentucky, The Dark Birdseye are all potent straight up tobaccos with just a hint of essence that I feel compliments the tobacco and does not in any way get in the way of it, same with Bob's Chocolate and Dark Flake UNSCENTED. You might want to grab a bunch of 2 oz samples.

Reactions: futureman

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
Brown Flake u/s (unscented). It actually retains a small amount of floral essence but it is almost indiscernible. My favourite tobacco...

JEdwards

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2022
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth
I'll 2nd Dark Birds Eye. I don't pick up much, if any, floral essence in that one and I've a couple pounds of it stashed away.

Best Brown Flake #2 is one of my all time favorites, but it's unavailable.

Same here, I don't pick up any floral essence at all from Dark Birds Eye. All I get is classic Virginia a healthy dose of dark fired Kentucky.