PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
Looking into home blending for some fun and cost savings. I’m having trouble figuring out what is/isn’t possible with whole leaf.

My original plan -

Buy a variety of whole leaf by the pound. This seems like a no brainer just based on how cheap it is compared to tinned, and I’m relatively certain I’ll enjoy the experimenting.

Unbox, open, process (thick ribbon with sanitized scissors?), let dry, then jar and cellar.

The cellaring part is my main question - are there any concerns cellaring whole leaf tobacco? Would it need to be drier than the average tinned blend?

My thought is that I can only use small amounts at a time, allowing each constituent leaf to age in the cellar. I may or may not want to make some plugs or flakes, but I want to keep it relatively simple for now.

Is there any reason I can’t/shouldn’t do this? Will whole leaf mold in the cellar? I’ve done a bit of reading, but it doesn’t sound like anyone has pounds of processed whole leaf cellared away, and im not sure if that’s just because nobody is mentioning it, or because it’s a bad idea.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I just keep them in their original bags in a yeti cooler with a few Broveda pouches. The pouches last forever in there because Yeti’s have a very tight seal and heavy lid. When I go on vacation and need the cooler I just throw them on the kitchen table and let the chips fall as they may. Seems to work fine so far, which is 3 years. They are only left on the table 1 month max. I’m sure other folks have better systems but this works good enough for me.

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
I just keep them in their original bags in a yeti cooler with a few Broveda pouches. The pouches last forever in there because Yeti’s have a very tight seal and heavy lid. When I go on vacation and need the cooler I just throw them on the kitchen table and let the chips fall as they may. Seems to work fine so far, which is 3 years. They are only left on the table 1 month max. I’m sure other folks have better systems but this works good enough for me.
Do you not process it and jar it (like a usual bulk) just for flexibility in prep? That seems to be the downside with my method. I would be curious to try ropes, shag, etc., but I guess I’d be locking myself in processing it straight away.

Does your leaf age noticeably after three years? That’s another thing I haven’t heard much chatter about - aging whole leaf.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Do you not process it and jar it (like a usual bulk) just for flexibility in prep? That seems to be the downside with my method. I would be curious to try ropes, shag, etc., but I guess I’d be locking myself in processing it straight away.

Does your leaf age noticeably after three years? That’s another thing I haven’t heard much chatter about - aging whole leaf.
I actually can’t answer that, I have not processed or smoked any. It seems like a bit of an undertaking so I’m waiting for the right time when I feel like dealing with all that. I have no idea how I will cut it, case it, blend it, whether I will press it into plugs or whatever. Hopefully others can share their experiences

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's like raising chickens for eggs; it definitely not about saving money.
My wife likes to grow her own veggies
When you take in the cost of the seedlings, add the cost of premium potting mix and mulch, then factor in the losses from caterpillars and because she forgot to water for a few days in the heat of summer, it‘s a very expensive salad rotf

I like the idea of doing your own blend (the fun aspect) but given the choice of bulk blends available to you in the US, I‘m not sure of the cost benefit.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I myself will reseal the bags with a machine and store in a cooler. I have cigar leaf that has 10 yrs on it and is amazing. If you haven't already, check out fairtradetobacco.com. incredible amount of tobacco info on that site.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
It's not just a cost benefit. There's security involved as well. You get the security of knowing the ingredients of the blend. AND when our government writes a ban for tobacco sales via mailing prohibition or undue taxation in all US states we might be able to grow and blend our own tobacco. I have 5 pounds of whole leaf on its way to my place and I have no idea what to do with it.
I think storing leaf in a cooler is a lovely idea. I just need some humidor pucks. Thanks to the contributors in this thread.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I store my hands 50 to 55 percent humidity in large plastic totes. I use a hot steam humidifier to maintain those levels. Definitely not saving any money. The investment in tobacco storage and processing equipment alone far outweighs cost savings. For me it's about precise control of my recipes and keping proper track of tobacco inventory used and age.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon