PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've been using a notebook for the past few months. Just a pocket moleskine for now. I want to get a full sized journal and start recording some thoughts and things I'd like to pass on the the kids one day. I've been looking at the Lechtturm 1917 and it seems like a good one. What's everyone else using?

Reactions: NomadOrb and JOHN72

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I wrote in a journal pretty much daily for over a decade. I always used either Moleskine or Rhodia books. They cost a lot more than a "journal" you'd get at Walmart, but they are worth every penny. When you consider the mileage you get out of them, the price becomes insignificant.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I use a pocket moleskine for my journal. My daily scratch notes I use field notes. And my travels are recorded in a Midori travelers notebook.

Field notes are my favorite, but only come in pocket sized.
Midori gives me an Indiana Jones vibe.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I journal everyday. 99% of the time it’s with a fountain pen and Lochby fills for their binder.

That’s all personal stuff. Work stuff is all written on an iPad mini 6 with Apple Pencil and Notability.

Yes, that’s two systems. The stop gap is 3x5 notecards. I write odds and ends on those and then transfer appropriately.

I’ve used every kind of paper and notebook out there. This is where I’ve settled.

There is no shortcut to preferences. Although everyone wants a shortcut.

What works for me is most likely not going to work for you.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'd do it electronically on an iPad. I could never make Franklin Planners work, not much for writing on paper when I can store it in the cloud.
I use filofax for my callender. I fear If the grid goes down, I'd lose all my information. However if the internet goes down round the U.S. then I'm in more trouble than I care to admit anyways 😂

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I use any kind of cheap peace of paper for my daily journalistic work, usually a spiral note book out of the supermarket. They might not endure this century, who cares?

I also use digital notes and digital recordings on the I-phone for interviews, in former times on cassette.

I had some moleskin as journal a few decades ago, and some of their scetchbooks for pencil drawings and adress book as well. They do a good job, quite durable. But I am not that romantic about writing down my whatever thoughts any more. I am not Immanuel Kant, so I skipped the luxurious approach.

Leuchtturm 1917 seems to me a little bit overpriced same as some pipes.

If I would care, I maybe would go for moleskin or its No name clone, I found recently, that is much cheaper of similar quality. Also here you may find parallels to pipes.

As always just find the best materials and experience that make you feel comfortable and happy.

CA6FC11D-B6F4-4CB9-AA77-4747A48EBAB4.jpeg

Reactions: didimauw

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I'm a fan of the leuchtturm notebooks. I keep a pocket sized one to record thoughts when the mood arises.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I figured I'd drop an update to say that I've been using a Midori Traveler's Notebook with their monthly planner and 2 dot grid inserts. The first dot grid and planner are for work stuff and the other dot grid is a personal commonplace book. I really like the size and the ability to keep multiple books together in one neat little cover. Thanks @didimauw for the inspiration.