Nothing But a Bunch of Reactionaries Here!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I had a slight absence here after going into business for myself. I was really excited when I returned to the new forum style. It was easier to use from my phone and easier to upload pictures. However, I wondered about the reactions. While handy to show support, I thought it may reduce conversation and result in simple emotive replies. Sometimes that seems the case. I appreciate the idea and do not think it was the wrong choice, but I can agree that conversation is more valuable than the reaction score we see now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I had a slight absence here after going into business for myself. I was really excited when I returned to the new forum style. It was easier to use from my phone and easier to upload pictures. However, I wondered about the reactions. While handy to show support, I thought it may reduce conversation and result in simple emotive replies. Sometimes that seems the case. I appreciate the idea and do not think it was the wrong choice, but I can agree that conversation is more valuable than the reaction score we see now.
Good to see you back again. I’ve always enjoyed your posts and insights. I just wish that you got more “likes”.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The way I remember it from before the "like" option was a lot of the replies just said +1 or something similar...so I'm not sure it really changed things all that much in the way of actual replies.

Reactions: woodsroad

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The way I remember it from before the "like" option was a lot of the replies just said +1 or something similar...so I'm not sure it really changed things all that much in the way of actual replies.
I feel like the more options have made it easier to react and not comment. I, myself, being guilty of it at times. But it hasn't really changed the forum.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
It is always nice to see responses to posts. There is no doubt that social media is a bit narcissistic and masturbatory, but getting responses lets you know that your missives are resonating, and that folks are either enjoying them or pissed off at you. So although it's reassuring to log in and see "12" or "32" on the notifications, it's even nicer to see when those responses are quotes/replies. Then you know that you are promoting real conversation, not just screaming into the void of space,

When it's all just "reacted". and no "quoted" I find myself complaining to myself "Just a bunch of reactionaries here!"
I like your post.

I’m torn about quotes. Yeh, sometimes it’s nice to see a quote in my alerts, but then sometimes I see “that guy” has quoted me again. Ugg! And, I know “that guy” is just trying to pick a fight, again. And, again… ‘maybe a mod will get it before I click the alert. I’ll ignore it… 5 more quote alerts later… ‘crap!’

Sometimes it’s just nice to see laugh emojis. At least with a laugh emoji, I know they “got” the joke.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It is always nice to see responses to posts. There is no doubt that social media is a bit narcissistic and masturbatory, but getting responses lets you know that your missives are resonating, and that folks are either enjoying them or pissed off at you. So although it's reassuring to log in and see "12" or "32" on the notifications, it's even nicer to see when those responses are quotes/replies. Then you know that you are promoting real conversation, not just screaming into the void of space,

When it's all just "reacted". and no "quoted" I find myself complaining to myself "Just a bunch of reactionaries here!"
👍

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’m torn about quotes. Yeh, sometimes it’s nice to see a quote in my alerts, but then sometimes I see “that guy” has quoted me again. Ugg! And, I know “that guy” is just trying to pick a fight, again. And, again… ‘maybe a mod will get it before I click the alert. I’ll ignore it… 5 more quote alerts later… ‘crap!’

Sometimes it’s just nice to see laugh emojis. At least with a laugh emoji, I know they “got” the joke.
Aren't you the same guy who thinks the mods are after him because he's too sexy?

You're so vain.