PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just a few pics to share the excitement. This crop has little to do with my efforts and more to do with great summer weather and a surprisingly good curing spot. We have burley, goose creek red and a random one which popped up, maybe Va Gold from hobbiton.

After picking, I decided to thresh (remove stem) and bag up to ferment in the kiln for 2 months. This equates to roughly 2 years ageing. When they come out I’ll press into plugs and vacuum seal for a few more years before blending

D3665FFE-872D-4F5E-A73E-8391D60823E6.jpegF2C6E849-EDC8-4183-9359-E1D984D73448.jpeg656AA19E-7369-4E8F-9BFC-A77EBAD04E9E.jpegC0915F9E-5930-4D89-AEFB-51E7308692A7.jpeg1223BE94-220E-4610-8F48-2E751496DB94.jpeg83370FA6-7012-4B3F-BDCB-CA6BC46EB67D.jpeg97C8FEE1-03CE-40AE-BE61-38CD3C0F3EA9.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nice work! Can you describe what's in the last photo? The cabinet (a former fridge?) with computer fans. Is that a crockpot at the bottom?
Yep you guessed it all.

I use this to make an insulated kiln to ferment/sweat the leaf for 6weeks or so. This causes the same enzyme reactions as about 1 year or so of ageing (I made a mistake and wrote 2 years above).

Basically the goal is to replicate and hold the environmental conditions which occur naturally about 4 times a year for about a week each. I use bags to seal in moisture, but in theory I could just use the entire fridge as a big insulated container. The slow cooker provides enough heat to keep the temperature between 50-55c to avoid mould.

a kiln is generally only used for leaf which has been air cured, as opposed to leaf which has been cured using heat (flue or smoke).

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Lol that’s the first time I’ve been asked that.

yep I’m born and bred here. However, I only refer to myself as a kiwi when talking to people from overseas. Here, I’m a Pākehā or a Tangata Tiriti ✌?
Ahaha very cool.
Always wanted to visit, especially Dunedin - I'm a big fan of the old Flying Nun Records.
Jean Paul Sartre Experience is one of my favorite bands of all time.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yep you guessed it all.

I use this to make an insulated kiln to ferment/sweat the leaf for 6weeks or so. This causes the same enzyme reactions as about 1 year or so of ageing (I made a mistake and wrote 2 years above).

Basically the goal is to replicate and hold the environmental conditions which occur naturally about 4 times a year for about a week each. I use bags to seal in moisture, but in theory I could just use the entire fridge as a big insulated container. The slow cooker provides enough heat to keep the temperature between 50-55c to avoid mould.

a kiln is generally only used for leaf which has been air cured, as opposed to leaf which has been cured using heat (flue or smoke).
I'm very impressed! I assume there's water in the crockpot as well so it's pretty humid in the kiln?

When do you begin latakia production? ?

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Well I better grow some orientals before I start taking orders ;)

while I’m not drawn to Latakia beyond condimental amounts, or a decade old where it’s smokiness fades, I would love to try making it atleast once using some native aromatic woods. I also have been experimenting with infusing/scenting leaf with different fruits, flowers and leaves we have growing here.

yeah the crock pot would have water in it and be required to be topped up once or twice a week if I were using the entire kiln as a humidity controlled environment. I just use water until the leaves are moist enough and then I seal the bags. That keeps the humidity inside the bags sufficient for the duration of the kiln run, and I’ve found it more manageable while still learning the ropes

when @mortonbriar has his crop ready he can then bag it up and chuck it in too

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Just a few pics to share the excitement. This crop has little to do with my efforts and more to do with great summer weather and a surprisingly good curing spot. We have burley, goose creek red and a random one which popped up, maybe Va Gold from hobbiton.

After picking, I decided to thresh (remove stem) and bag up to ferment in the kiln for 2 months. This equates to roughly 2 years ageing. When they come out I’ll press into plugs and vacuum seal for a few more years before blending

View attachment 139494View attachment 139495View attachment 139496View attachment 139497View attachment 139498View attachment 139499View attachment 139500

Very, very impressive! Do you flue cure your Virginias, or does this kiln replace the need for flue curing? In growing my first Virginia tobacco this year (I live in Tennessee which is traditionally Burley country).