PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I bought my first Sasieni Four Dot, which is something I've been wanting to have for a while now. I bought it from a reputable source. It was unsmoked and I paid a fair bit for it, although not an huge amount. When I did my first inspection I noticed that the drilling is very off-center. Now I'm wondering if this is a big aberration for Sasieni or if it was a more regular thing like I have heard being the case with Peterson. It is a full bent pipe. Should I be worried about the drilling? Would you have returned it? If it was a cheap pipe I probably wouldn't mind but I feel a little iffy about it for the price.

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 14
  • drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I bought my first Sasieni Four Dot, which is something I've been wanting to have for a while now. I bought it from a reputable source. It was unsmoked and I paid a fair bit for it, although not an huge amount. When I did my first inspection I noticed that the drilling is very off-center. Now I'm wondering if this is a big aberration for Sasieni or if it was a more regular thing like I have heard being the case with Peterson. It is a full bent pipe. Should I be worried about the drilling? Would you have returned it? If it was a cheap pipe I probably wouldn't mind but I feel a little iffy about it for the price.
the off center drilling seems like a more current fixation. Especially on a bent pipe. Like has been said it won't effect how it smokes. Why would anyone ruin a pipe that is pretty much perfect cause a hole that no one looks at is slightly less aesthetically pleasing.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
the off center drilling seems like a more current fixation. Especially on a bent pipe. Like has been said it won't effect how it smokes. Why would anyone ruin a pipe that is pretty much perfect cause a hole that no one looks at is slightly less aesthetically pleasing.
I wasn't concerned about the aesthetics of the inside of the pipe, it was about the functionality. In the years I've been smoking pipes I had never had one with a noticable off-center drilling. That is why I made the thread, to get input, and to hear other peoples experiences.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I wasn't concerned about the aesthetics of the inside of the pipe, it was about the functionality. In the years I've been smoking pipes I had never had one with a noticable off-center drilling. That is why I made the thread, to get input, and to hear other peoples experiences.
I didn't assume you were. I was just trying to make the point that it won't effect the way it smokes and the only practical issue incidentally is it might make it harder to get a pipe cleaner through without taking off the stem. otherwise it will smoke and function the same.

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
I didn't assume you were. I was just trying to make the point that it won't effect the way it smokes and the only practical issue incidentally is it might make it harder to get a pipe cleaner through without taking off the stem. otherwise it will smoke and function the same.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes I'm feeling better about it after reading the answers here. You can't get a pipecleaner through this but I wouldn't have assumed that to be the case because it is a very pronounced bend. In my experience so far with the pipes I have had probably less than half would pass the pipe cleaner test with a bend like this. So that doesn't bother me.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes I'm feeling better about it after reading the answers here. You can't get a pipecleaner through this but I wouldn't have assumed that to be the case because it is a very pronounced bend. In my experience so far with the pipes I have had probably less than half would pass the pipe cleaner test with a bend like this. So that doesn't bother me.
no problem