PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rather like it. When Two Cousins were in business doing pipe racks with compartments for tobacco, my wife got me a gift card for a custom-made rack. I proposed to them a faded red barn wood finish. They did a wonderful version, but doubting my resolve, sent along pictures of it and an alternate rack with more conventional color, in case I'd prefer that. Also, they may have had compliments on the barn wood version, so figured it was pre-sold anyway. But I assured them I wanted it, and it is a beauty. I've had it for about ten years now. It's not only a rack and tobacco storage, but also the central shrine of my piping where my loftiest treasure pipes reside. A Ferndown, a Ser Jacopo, a Nording zebra hunting pipe, and so forth.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I rather like it. When Two Cousins were in business doing pipe racks with compartments for tobacco, my wife got me a gift card for a custom-made rack. I proposed to them a faded red barn wood finish. They did a wonderful version, but doubting my resolve, sent along pictures of it and an alternate rack with more conventional color, in case I'd prefer that. Also, they may have had compliments on the barn wood version, so figured it was pre-sold anyway. But I assured them I wanted it, and it is a beauty. I've had it for about ten years now. It's not only a rack and tobacco storage, but also the central shrine of my piping where my loftiest treasure pipes reside. A Ferndown, a Ser Jacopo, a Nording zebra hunting pipe, and so forth.
Picture please? (Now I’m curious)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's iPhone, my picture source for this purpose, isn't speaking to my Mac PC, not for email recipes she forwards to print, and not for pictures. We are dismally low tech. However, I'd like to post this pipe rack, but likely not this thread. My apologies.

Reactions: gamzultovah

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Looks like my deck from previous house that I didn't do weather protection for 17 years. I liked it, but nobody else did. Should have kept my broken down Honda next to it to really piss off the lawn Nazis.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Love that pipe.
Please would you tell us how you achieved the effect.

After stripping the finish off, I mixed Fiebings Black 1 to 4 with alcohol and stained it. Then I give it alcohol baths and wiped it down until it got to the level that it looks like now. After drying, I gave it a heavy yellow carnauba polish which gave it a warmer tone.