PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chapo

Lurker
Jun 20, 2023
Recently I’ve been noticing that the tamper in my old boy won’t stay in. I’m afraid that it will slip and fall and I’ll loose it. Contacted a repair guy who said he could fix it, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has fixed it. Help.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Might try wrapping some of that cloth like 3M medical tape around it and leave it awhile and see if some of the adhesive transfers when you take it off. Might be a little sticky and look like an old label was peeled off, but might give a little grip.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Recently I’ve been noticing that the tamper in my old boy won’t stay in. I’m afraid that it will slip and fall and I’ll loose it. Contacted a repair guy who said he could fix it, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has fixed it. Help.
Haven't had that problem, though I don't use the included tamper, preferring instead to a pipe tool.

Reactions: yanoJL

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Smokingpipes can help you coordinate with IM Corona for repair, if you are interested. Just shoot an email to info@smokingpipes.com

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Chapo

Lurker
Jun 20, 2023
Thanks alj. I took it apart once but didn’t know about the torsion spring. I’m sure that’s it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
There is a torsion spring that engages a notch near the top portion of the tamper shaft, if the spring gets weak or worn out the tamper will not stay in place. You can bend it back or replace it but it requires disassembly of the lighter.
I always wondered this. I imagined it was a magnet! Haha.