PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
I just received my first Clay pipe - a Markus Fohr Old German Clay. I had an order in on Smoking Pipes and forgot I even included this - great surprise when I opened the box. I had to try it out right away.
Before I even packed it, I noticed my lips stuck to the dry clay. My solution was to reach into the tool box and find a short piece of shrink wrap tubing. Now my pipe has a yellow accent, but the feel is much better.
I packed a bowl of RO Fire Storm. The bowl holds more than it appears. It smoked good for a first smoke. It is a unique feel in hand - being so petite. I found that I held it more like a pencil on the stem instead of on the bowl (which did get a bit hot).
I really dig it so far and I can see getting more of them. This is just a fun, inexpensive addition to a small, growing collection. I'm looking forward to see how it breaks in and changes with more smokes.OGC.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just received my first Clay pipe - a Markus Fohr Old German Clay. I had an order in on Smoking Pipes and forgot I even included this - great surprise when I opened the box. I had to try it out right away.
Before I even packed it, I noticed my lips stuck to the dry clay. My solution was to reach into the tool box and find a short piece of shrink wrap tubing. Now my pipe has a yellow accent, but the feel is much better.
I packed a bowl of RO Fire Storm. The bowl holds more than it appears. It smoked good for a first smoke. It is a unique feel in hand - being so petite. I found that I held it more like a pencil on the stem instead of on the bowl (which did get a bit hot).
I really dig it so far and I can see getting more of them. This is just a fun, inexpensive addition to a small, growing collection. I'm looking forward to see how it breaks in and changes with more smokes.View attachment 63734
clay is great it's just annoying how easily they can break. But they are legit great smokers.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'm surprised the tip isn't waxed. They often were dipped in colored wax (or paint) to prevent that issue. Your solution is simple and nice.

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
Placer County, California
I’ve had them at times dipped in some kind of gloss paint, I think. That prevented the lip from adhering to the stem. I don’t smoke mine often, but when I do I just pay the feeling no kind and keep going.