PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
I seem to recall an article years ago (maybe 10 or 11) that GLP had about aging various tobacco varieties and where he thought some of his blends would be at their height before their eventual decline. I know he mentioned Westminster in particular, and from what I recall, said it would age well till about 20ish (or maybe more?) years before it started to go the other direction.

So am I misremembering? Anyone know the article I'm referring to? I cannot seem to find it.

And the reason I'm asking is because I have a few tins from 2007 that I would like to have whenever it hits that mark. Curious what others think.

Reactions: Scottmi
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I seem to recall an article years ago (maybe 10 or 11) that GLP had about aging various tobacco varieties and where he thought some of his blends would be at their height before their eventual decline. I know he mentioned Westminster in particular, and from what I recall, said it would age well till about 20ish (or maybe more?) years before it started to go the other direction.

So am I misremembering? Anyone know the article I'm referring to? I cannot seem to find it.

And the reason I'm asking is because I have a few tins from 2007 that I would like to have whenever it hits that mark. Curious what others think.
You might be thinking of his sidebar comments for the Heirloom Series:
Westminster, of course, is far too young to make any definitive comments on, but my experience tells me that this one will develop for at least 15 years, stabilize for a decade or so, and then begin a slow decline. I'm sure it'll still be wonderful in 20-30 years, but it's peak will likely be quite a bit earlier, like most full bodied English/Balkan mixtures. Still, I'm cellaring it in enough quantity to prove myself wrong in my own tenth decade.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
You might be thinking of his sidebar comments for the Heirloom Series:

That is it! Thank you!
I honestly thought it was from an article or blog post he'd written but apparently not. So, if the 15 year mark is where he is suspecting it to peak, I should probably open one of those tins from 2007 now, and save another for 2027ish. And it may be worth having something to try around 2037 just to see what it's like.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
That is it! Thank you!
I honestly thought it was from an article or blog post he'd written but apparently not. So, if the 15 year mark is where he is suspecting it to peak, I should probably open one of those tins from 2007 now, and save another for 2027ish. And it may be worth having something to try around 2037 just to see what it's like.
Open now and give us you impressions! puffy