PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
This is one of my oldest, a copper and glass humidor from Colossus Pipe Factory (owned by the company KB&B, that morphed into Kaywoodie), 1920s or earlier (the Bernhard Bloch Ally Sloper is probably older by thirty years or so). This C.P.F. doesn’t hold moisture well, so I’ve converted it into a small display case for Colossus Pipe Factory related items. You can see the familiar red satin that I most often use as a pipe backdrop inside; that cloth was specifically bought to wrap around the foam inside this humidor—the excess ended being used for the pipe pics I post in WAYS.

View attachment 291383

This next one is a wooden Briggs tobacco humidor from the 1930s. It also doesn’t hold moisture very well. It bums me to not use it to hold tobacco, so I may end up using it to store Vincent Manil Semois, which is very dry to start—holding moisture won’t be an issue.

View attachment 291388

It has a humidification stone in the locking lid:

View attachment 291389

Here’s a common Decatur pipe stand with tobacco jar, the kind you see listed all the time on eBay. I imagine they were common from the ’50s–’70s.

View attachment 291390

Here’s a slightly upscale version of the same thing from Savinelli:

View attachment 291392

The fun thing about this is how the stands surround the jar:

View attachment 291393

This is my smallest Dunhill humidor (made by Elie Bleu of France for Dunhill). I use it for Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake; this tobacco is less likely to ghost the humidor than an aromatic.

View attachment 291394

View attachment 291395

View attachment 291396
That Elise bleu is beautiful!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That Elise bleu is beautiful!

Thank you! I’ve enjoyed the brand and their products for many years. The fit and finish of their products is top notch.

This is perhaps my favourite Elie Bleu cigar humidor, with an Amboyna Burl veneer finish, that I purchased new from Arnold’s Tobacco Shop on Madison Avenue in New York in the ’90s:

20240301_122721.jpg

This is an Elie Bleu made for Dunhill (probably from the ’80s). Unfortunately, there’s a split in the finish, but I still love it. The metal Dunhill inlay is pretty over the top.

20240301_122832.jpg

I have a variety of other Elie Bleu cigar humidors and ones they made for Dunhill with different finishes.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Thank you! I’ve enjoyed the brand and their products for many years. The fit and finish of their products is top notch.

This is perhaps my favourite Elie Bleu cigar humidor, with an Amboyna Burl veneer finish, that I purchased new from Arnold’s Tobacco Shop on Madison Avenue in New York in the ’90s:

View attachment 292523

This is an Elie Bleu made for Dunhill (probably from the ’80s). Unfortunately, there’s a split in the finish, but I still love it. The metal Dunhill inlay is pretty over the top.

View attachment 292525

I have a variety of other Elie Bleu cigar humidors and ones they made for Dunhill with different finishes.
Those Elie Bleu humidors that you have are really beautiful.
I come to Florida on December and I was thinking are there good shops that sell used Elie bleu humidors ( the new ones are out of my price range)?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Those Elie Bleu humidors that you have are really beautiful.
I come to Florida on December and I was thinking are there good shops that sell used Elie bleu humidors ( the new ones are out of my price range)?

Thank you!

Yes, unfortunately, they’ve become very expensive. The Amboyna Burl one was pretty costly back in the ’90s when I got it, but probably a third of what they cost now.

I don’t see used ones often. I’m not familiar with any of their dealers in Florida. They do turn up on eBay, and the ones they made for Dunhill can often be had for a fraction of the Elie Bleu price.

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
My oldest humidor, bought at a flea market at the rendezvous in Friendship, Indiana in mid 1980s is a Duraglas Amber Humidor made by Duraglas and marked as Dun Rite Wood.

View attachment 290572

It came with a five pipe wooden pipe stand and I've not lost it for nearly 40 years.

The best I can tell is that it was probably made in 1939.

Here is an article on dating Duraglas: Bottom of glass info (O-I) - https://www.bourbonex.com/forums/topic/266/bottom-of-glass-info-o-i

View attachment 290573

The bottom of the the jar shows the logo for Duraglas as well as date codes.

It appears the jar was made in the Brighton, NJ plant but the glass shows Brooklyn, NY at the bottom.

This humidor has served me will and although it does not have tight fitting lid - in fact the lid is a bit warped with age - I still use it from time to time.

I've since relied on Comoy of London humidors, but they are fragile - very fragile.

I am a sucker for vintage.

Do you have any older humidors in your collection?
I have one just like that I picked up at a auction however it don’t have the lid but works perfect for my pipe cleaners