PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have on my way to me an old meer,according to the seller the tenon is stuck.
It is likely a bone screw type and going by the pictures is ubderclocked.I would like to free it if at all possible.
I wont know until I get it if the button is a round type,in which case I may just try to loosen and correct just the silver collar on the stem.As I know it is suggested by some not to keep dismantling them.

seeking suggestions to free it @condorlover1s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).png

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Generally, the only option with a stuck amber stem is to leave it. There is a 99.99% chance the stem will fall to pieces if you go twisting on it. The clocking doesn't actually look that bad from the pics. Either way, its a lovely BW Cutty, if it were mine I'd leave it and smoke it as is until the stem gives up and then replace it with an amber acrylic stem.

You may be able to reclock the silver if you are very gentle, warm it a little and gently twist it back and forth. Often time just using a polishing cloth will generate enough heat to loosen them a little.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Generally, the only option with a stuck amber stem is to leave it. There is a 99.99% chance the stem will fall to pieces if you go twisting on it. The clocking doesn't actually look that bad from the pics. Either way, its a lovely BW Cutty, if it were mine I'd leave it and smoke it as is until the stem gives up and then replace it with an amber acrylic stem.

You may be able to reclock the silver if you are very gentle, warm it a little and gently twist it back and forth. Often time just using a polishing cloth will generate enough heat to loosen them a little.
I thoroughly concur with everything you wrote.

A fine-tipped soldering iron can be judiciously employed to great effect, should a soupcon more heat prove necessary.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually it is a rather clever metal extension. The first part of the silver collar is threaded and screws into the mortice with a metal threaded protrusion. On the other side the stem has a similar arrangement with a female match on the inside of sleeve. I have one in a drawer somewhere that unscrews and I'll dig it out and post a picture of it disassembled. Usually the tar and crap has the effect of sticking the two parts of the stem together and any twisting action will shatter the stem. It is best to smoke it and when it is very warm try gently turning the stem by gripping the silver parts and not the amber stem. If it doesn't bother you then just leave well alone, clean the pipe and enjoy smoking it!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m sure that would bug the hell out of me for a while (maybe forever) but it’s so dang pretty that it would take away some of the sting.

If you decide you can't live with it I’m guessing a certain lover of Condor would not mind relieving you of it.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I’m sure that would bug the hell out of me for a while (maybe forever) but it’s so dang pretty that it would take away some of the sting.

If you decide you can't live with it I’m guessing a certain lover of Condor would not mind relieving you of it.
I suspect I can live with it,if I can't straighten the silver as long as ths button doesn't cause the chamber to be ridiculously out which it doesn't appear to be from the photos

Reactions: AroEnglish

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@paulfg : As promised here is one of mine unscrewed. The insert screws into the meerschaum threads on the shank with end being flush when fully engaged. The stem has a dual screw with the amber screwing into the threaded part of the silver work with the other end as shown in the picture being the metal screw which engages into the metal shank with both sides metal places matching up to the engraving on the outside collar.

thumbnail-4.jpegthumbnail-3.jpeg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@paulfg : As promised here is one of mine unscrewed. The insert screws into the meerschaum threads on the shank with end being flush when fully engaged. The stem has a dual screw with the amber screwing into the threaded part of the silver work with the other end as shown in the picture being the metal screw which engages into the metal shank with both sides metal places matching up to the engraving on the outside collar.

View attachment 297788View attachment 297789
many thanks, looking at the pictures it looks like I wont be able to move just the silver on the stem.
Hopefully it may separate with smoking as you suggest.If not I will leave well alone and not force it for fear of breaking the amber stem

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Well the pipe arrived.
I managed to loosen the stem with a little heat from a hairdryer and after cleaning out the crud in the mortice it now clocks perfectly.Mine did not have the bone threads only the metal part.
The draft hole and mortice were chock a block with old tar.
It smokes wonderfully,thanks for the advice

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I've gotten many of these to come loose. I've also had two (maybe three?) shatter at the connection. The way I see it, if I'm willing to leave it stuck because I'm afraid it will shatter, then I might as well attempt to take it apart and if it shatters, glue it back together and I'm where I would have been anyway.

My success rate in getting them apart when they are 'well-stuck' is about 95%. The most successful technique has been to soak the thickest pipe-cleaner that will go past the connection, in alcohol, and let it sit in there for a few hours. Remove it carefully and then very carefully try to turn the stem. If it is going to come loose it will just barely, barely budge the slightest bit very quickly. Don't force it. Repeat with a new pipe-cleaner, then try again in a few hours. I've done this three times on a few occasions before it finally worked. I also have several meers where it did NOT work and I gave up and left the stem stuck. But...I will go after those again some day. I have probably done fifty of these and only had two break that I can remember - a bone one, and the following amber tenon.

The other day I had a very surprising 'fail'. After the second pipe-cleaner it began to budge a little. It felt exactly as it would if I were going to have success. I unscrewed it gently and it had apparently shattered at the first twist. The good thing is that the 'shatter' is almost always the tenon breaking off - not the amber stem. This one shattered because the tenon was actually part of a one-piece amber stem - not bone. Bone is stronger and almost always survives (in my experience).

On rare occasions, when the above didn't work, I've put the pipe in the freezer and it's loosened it enough to unscrew. But the freezer technique has a higher success rate with stuck briars.

The key is patience. If the stem was glued to the shank with CA glue, you can forget it. You won't know it, of course, but it will never budge without breaking.

Reactions: jhowell