PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Title edited for brevity and clarity. Original:

"Would you smoke antique tobacco in original packaging?Just found some old sealed Velvet,Carter hall,Edward Robinson and Bull Durham."

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first reaction is, try it, you might like it. But then I think of that old time packaging and how much better it looks unopened, and I think, hey, just leave it be, use it as a conversation piece. We'll never have that type face and art work again. Open it, and it's just recycling. Except for a few Forums members who could make a wonderful collage or framed exhibit out of them.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I originally bought them to try how the old tobacco would taste but not sure if I want to destroy that historical aspect of it..I smoked once old Amphora tobacco maybe from 70s??? but tasted bad and burned so fast -was very dry..But that bag was opened and I did not care about it too much

Reactions: KruegerFlap

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Bull Durham is like powder to start with I believe. They stopped making the stuff in 1988 before I came to the U.S. It was a cigarette tobacco. The other stuff I cannot comment on!

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
Heck yeah as long as it’s not been contaminated by dirt, rehydrate and enjoy, the old blends were better than todays versions

Reactions: UB 40

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
During the last few days I checked some antique stores from TN to WY and found some rare vintage tobaccos 1963-1974 12 unopened pocket tins of Prince Albert in unopened carton,14oz can of pre 1963 Prince Albert unopened,1975-1987 unopened pocket tin of Prince Albert and 7oz can of unopened Hayward mixture likely from 70s-80s...This mixture is quite good...It is latakia-burley...very smokey,burns cool and steady to the end...It is not overly dry but perfect.mild mixture you could smoke most of the day...I like the older PA made by Reynolds as well just for the vintage feel and taste...

ATLpipe

Lurker
Aug 24, 2022
I think I'd at least try one of them just to see how the tobacco has held up. Maybe it's great. Maybe it's dust.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Title edited for brevity and clarity. Original:

"Would you smoke antique tobacco in original packaging?Just found some old sealed Velvet,Carter hall,Edward Robinson and Bull Durham."
Half of these I wouldn't smoke if they were new, much less old. The oldest tobacco I can recall smoking was close to 100 years old. It tasted liked how I imagine zombie vomit would taste.