Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No clue on the source - I get our olive oil and our balsamic from one of those little stores that bottles various blends and always manage to find something good that's new and also have favorites. Could be infected goat urine for all I know, but always tasty!

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
If you like fruity oils, try arbequina extra virgin. I prefer fuller tasting ones and love Picual. It is the oil made in my home province (Jaén, Spain) which, by itself is one of the bigger producers of olive oil in the world.
I don´t know how easy they are to find abroad but Oro de Bailén Picual is relatively easy to find in Spain. For lighter and more fruity ones, try some Borges Blanques DO (a Catalonian oil). There are many different varietals, and the same oil unfiltered versus the filtered /decanted/centrifuged (sp?) are very different. I only use unfiltered for raw consumption. Now they are very expensive, but prices are expected to come down in march once the new harvest hits the shelves although there is a severe draught in Spain.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
For my olive oil needs I've always used either Filippo Berio or Bertolli extra virgin oil.

I always assumed I was using Italian/Spanish oil but the small print informs me that they are blends from different country's oil crops. I was quite disappointed with this.

I've never knowingly tried Greek oil nor Tunisian oil but I read that (quite understandably) they have distinctive tastes.

I love the floral tones of the oil that I use but would be interested in trying other E/V oil so any suggestions wold be most welcome, moreso if some idea of how they taste is included.

Jay.
Those brands are fine for people that use olive oil like vegetable oil. Branding shouldn’t be what you select by anyway. You want first cold pressed for “the best”. The ones that are grown in the desert tend to have higher polyphenols if you are seeking a health elixir (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, etc). I personally like ones with a peppery bite and they have ones that fit this profile that comes from California and are less costly than imports. I always spring for the organic so I can’t comment on the conventional ones.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Nothing like good old fashioned corporate greed.
Human greed, sir.

We enjoy an Italian olive oil that comes from a friend's family farm in Sicily. He's the US importer. I met Tony when I went to his warehouse to buy some empty IBC totes. We ended up sitting around sipping all the different oils that he imports. The stuff from his farm was the most enjoyable.

The best olive oil that I've ever had was from Kibbutz Gezer in Israel. A family friend, Dani Livney, runs the olive orchards there. It's been difficult and expensive to find in the US. This stuff is just so delicious. It may have to do with freshness, as my tasting happened right there.

IMG_3164.jpg

Last edited:

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
For general cooking at medium or low heat olive oil is excellent. Not high heat though. For high heat I lean towards butter, avocado oil, or coconut oil, and on all three you still need to read the label. Not all oils are what the large print states.

For general cooking, as silly as this may sound, Costco's Kirkland brand is very good. For anything "special" I use one of these.

The Barbera I use for salads. The Partanna has a hint more "zing", so I use this for zesty pasta sauces.
View attachment 280286View attachment 280287
Very strong point that I will reiterate. Olive oil is for low temp, like 375 or below. You will deconstruct it’s healthy elements at higher temperatures

another big consideration is how are you using it. It is worth springing for good stuff if you are dipping bread in it. Less so if you’re browning ground beef in it or whatever.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you like fruity oils, try arbequina extra virgin. I prefer fuller tasting ones and love Picual. It is the oil made in my home province (Jaén, Spain) which, by itself is one of the bigger producers of olive oil in the world.
I don´t know how easy they are to find abroad but Oro de Bailén Picual is relatively easy to find in Spain. For lighter and more fruity ones, try some Borges Blanques DO (a Catalonian oil). There are many different varietals, and the same oil unfiltered versus the filtered /decanted/centrifuged (sp?) are very different. I only use unfiltered for raw consumption. Now they are very expensive, but prices are expected to come down in march once the new harvest hits the shelves although there is a severe draught in Spain.
Find it here.....

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
You really have to watch with olive oil. The mafia has turned it into a racket and very few olive oils are pure. It's not other olive oil it's blended with, it's cheaper seed oils. I can almost guarantee bertolii is one of the ones that isn't pure
It has been reported for many years that much of the olive oil exported to the US from several European countries is both not pure and frequently rancid. I try to buy olive from California or Chile. Sometimes a bit more expensive but you can be sure that you are getting what you want

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
As a Greek I try to get Greek olive oil wherever I can, once a friend who knows an olive oil producer gave us a demijohn of local olive oil which smelled so strongly it took only a moment of it being uncorked for the room to smell. This level of quality oil should never be heated, just enjoyed with vegetables, bread, cheese. Still miss this oil years later.

I too prefer the lighter tastes of the cheaper (blended oils). The more expensive purer olive oils taste like ass, IMO. I hear chefs on TV talking about these more flavorful oils, but unless you really like that nasty taste, it's not worth the bother. And, I am someone who doesn't mind paying more for better flavor, but olive oil is not getting my money. Same goes for a lot of shit chefs say on TV. Like roasting broccoli, or lightly steaming it... what kind of moron prefers a rubbery broccoli? Raw or cook that little tree till it melts in your mouth. If I miss out on a few vitamins, so what? I'll just eat more of it.

Tastes are accumulated and developed, but a stronger olive oil taste is not something I wish to develop a taste for.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This level of quality oil should never be heate
My ex is one quarter Greek (Mavromatis) and she told me that her father just drizzled it onto toast, and if feeling extravagant he'd sprinkle a little cinnamon on too.

Not sure that would work with the oil I currently have though it works a treat on salads.

Jay.

Reactions: karam

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I too prefer the lighter tastes of the cheaper (blended oils). The more expensive purer olive oils taste like ass, IMO. I hear chefs on TV talking about these more flavorful oils, but unless you really like that nasty taste, it's not worth the bother. And, I am someone who doesn't mind paying more for better flavor, but olive oil is not getting my money. Same goes for a lot of shit chefs say on TV. Like roasting broccoli, or lightly steaming it... what kind of moron prefers a rubbery broccoli? Raw or cook that little tree till it melts in your mouth. If I miss out on a few vitamins, so what? I'll just eat more of it.

Tastes are accumulated and developed, but a stronger olive oil taste is not something I wish to develop a taste for.
At least in two different olive oil blind tastings , i preferred the "second better". Specially the ones from Jaen. Also in Argentina , wich produce a very high quality oil.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Honestly, for cooking there is little difference in the brands if its real stuff. The big difference is when you use it on food...salads, tomatoes etc...
I haven't found this to be true. For instance, I picked up some EVOO from Sam's Club a couple years ago, and I noticed residue in my skillets. It took me a while to figure out it was the EVOO and not too much heat or the foods etc. When I switched to another brand, it no longer happened. I've also ran into this here and there with EVOO from Aldi. Now before you say, "of course, you're buying the cheap stuff!" It served to teach me a lesson that they aren't all indeed created equal, and some of them even have oddball additives that don't cleanly burn off. I don't even want to know the garbage they're putting into some of these.

Napa Valley has some great EVOO. Some of these spice specialty stores also specialize in olive oil and will let you test them. If you haven't been into a spice store because...why do I need that?...maybe give them a quick visit to see if they also have oils.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
...That is why I qualified it with buying the real deal. The cheap stuff might be...who knows what?

Im not too sure where I stand on olive oil these days. The media has hyped it up but ya know what....its still oil. While it might have some good things in it the stuff is still a fat. I use as little of it as I can just in case we find out that it is the crisco of the 21st century.

The reasons the medeterrian diet is healthy cant all be imported. Its not just about food. Historically it also included low portion size, massive amounts of daily exercise and a whole different lifestyle that isnt buzz buzz go go!

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I haven't found this to be true. For instance, I picked up some EVOO from Sam's Club a couple years ago, and I noticed residue in my skillets. It took me a while to figure out it was the EVOO and not too much heat or the foods etc. When I switched to another brand, it no longer happened. I've also ran into this here and there with EVOO from Aldi. Now before you say, "of course, you're buying the cheap stuff!" It served to teach me a lesson that they aren't all indeed created equal, and some of them even have oddball additives that don't cleanly burn off. I don't even want to know the garbage they're putting into some of these.
Most likely there is cheap unrefined soy oil in it, it's really gummy, and can cause residue like that.

Reactions: Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
...That is why I qualified it with buying the real deal. The cheap stuff might be...who knows what?

Im not too sure where I stand on olive oil these days. The media has hyped it up but ya know what....its still oil. While it might have some good things in it the stuff is still a fat. I use as little of it as I can just in case we find out that it is the crisco of the 21st century.

The reasons the medeterrian diet is healthy cant all be imported. Its not just about food. Historically it also included low portion size, massive amounts of daily exercise and a whole different lifestyle that isnt buzz buzz go go!
I hear you. I too try to use as little fat as possible. These fad diets that say it is OK to eat as much of certain fats as you want sound entirely like, "I know this is what you want to hear, so I'll tell you what you want to hear." God forbid the answer might be show a little restraint and strike a balance.

With olive oil, how can you know if it is the real deal? You really can't. Does avoiding the likely hand of the mafia make it 100% secure? I don't know. Maybe a wee bit of peace of mind? I wouldn't mind only using only Napa Valley stuff, but I haven't made that line in the sand.

Reactions: Sigmund

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
My ex is one quarter Greek (Mavromatis) and she told me that her father just drizzled it onto toast, and if feeling extravagant he'd sprinkle a little cinnamon on too.

Not sure that would work with the oil I currently have though it works a treat on salads.

Jay.
That´s my daily breakfast, toasted bread with olive oil. If I feel adventurous I may add garlic, crushed tomato and cured ham. Very typical in my neck of the woods.