PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just spent $22 on what might be the ugliest Marxman I own, yet.

IMG_7260.jpeg
IMG_7261.jpegIMG_7262.jpegIMG_7264.jpegIMG_7263.jpeg

Marx advertised each Jumbo and Benchmade were “bench made” according to the particular piece of briar.

The carver decided to make a quarter bent square shank Bulldog and the stamps were too wide for the shank, so he made stab at it and called it good.

Somebody bought that pipe for five dollars when he could havs bought a beautiful, flawless Kaywoodie Super Grain, and he liked it.

Do bad looks turn you off buying a pipe?

I view ugliness as a buying opportunity when buying Pre 54 Marxmans.

Oh my, I just noticed a little window the carver put between Imported and Briar.

IMG_7266.jpeg

There’s a crown (not unusual pre war) and under varnish (?) to the right that looks like a B, which means it cost $7.50, as an extra large Jumbo.

Early Marxman pipes were rough and ready.:)

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yup, that’s an ugly pipe. I wouldn’t have bought it for $5 when it was new because it just doesn’t work for me, but obviously someone did and from the looks of it they enjoyed it thoroughly. I hope you get as much from it as they did! Happy smoking.

Reactions: Briar Lee

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've enjoyed smoking estate pipes. I'm not into pristine. I also think there's something to be said about older pipes that have been smoked. I mean, Grabow sold pipes pre-smoked.
I've got about a dozen or so unsmoked pipes. The nicest one is a Roma Dublin-ish half bent. The only new pipes I've smoked in the last 10 yrs have been from Missouri Meerschaum, or gifted from Shikano53. He's made and sent me two pipes. They're both terrific.
The funny thing is that I reach for the 'beaters' because they smoke well and have already acquired the character of a useful existence. But, I've wrecked a few of these with various mishaps and felt as if I'd lost a pet dog.

Reactions: Briar Lee
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I get folks by these for a number of reasons but if I look at a pipe and the maker couldn’t even stamp their mark on it with any real concern, then I’d assume that same level of detail went into the rest of the pipe.

If it was a new pipe, it shouldn’t even see the light of day. But it’s an estate pipe, so clearly you can sell anything.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I get folks by these for a number of reasons but if I look at a pipe and the maker couldn’t even stamp their mark on it with any real concern, then I’d assume that same level of detail went into the rest of the pipe.

If it was a new pipe, it shouldn’t even see the light of day. But it’s an estate pipe, so clearly you can sell anything.

The typical Jumbo or Benchmade from forties and early fifties Marxman production is hardly ever a smoothly polished work of industrial art like a Lee or Kaywoodie.

But the later pipes are 100% top level carving and polish and fit.

The early day ones smoke as well, but they weren’t very pretty.

First impression is rather important. I wouldn't scream at an ugly girl for a sex.
See, there is no one in the world who wouldn't sleep with an ugly girl. It is merely that they just wouldn't want their friends seeing them sleep with an ugly girl... even though their friends have probably already slept with the ugly girl.

I think Buddha said that. puffy

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
See, there is no one in the world who wouldn't sleep with an ugly girl. It is merely that they just wouldn't want their friends seeing them sleep with an ugly girl... even though their friends have probably already slept with the ugly girl.

I think Buddha said that. puffy
I said I wouldn't scream at them. Didn't say anything about the actual deed x) Tho, never been that desperate.