PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
"Year of the Dragon". 1985. I remember Chinese folks in NYC protesting against the movie. But the reality was just too close for me to go to China Town. I couldn't believe they put that movie out there. I wasn't in a gang, but knew a lot of Korean gang members. And few of friends lived near downtown Manhattan. Things I saw, things I heard about.. That movie scared the hell out of me. Year after the movie, we were in Chinatown buying fire crackers for the independence day. I almost shit myself with fire crackers going off everywhere. Never been to Chinatown after that.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wizard of Oz when I was pretty young - still can't stand it. Otherwise, whether by design or otherwise, don't get too scared by movies and standard horror fare isn't my thing - but although not so much horror, Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" is a guilty pleasure (as is anything with Mrs. Zombie). Captain Spaulding, like most clowns, is pretty scary.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Wizard of Oz when I was pretty young - still can't stand it. Otherwise, whether by design or otherwise, don't get too scared by movies and standard horror fare isn't my thing - but although not so much horror, Rob Zombie's "The Devil's Rejects" is a guilty pleasure (as is anything with Mrs. Zombie). Captain Spaulding, like most clowns, is pretty scary.
Wizard of oz, and Willie Wonka.

(Shudders)

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Yellow Submarine as a kid. The Green Meanies and the apple-dropping characters, and especially Nowhere Man scenes. As a pre-teen(?), Alien, in a theater--i had to go out into the lobby a couple times when they were crawling through the air ducts... :eek: Alien is a great favorite now!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was too interested in special effects and the story as a kid but could never get invested in them enough for a scare. I always found them too predictable.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
"Year of the Dragon". 1985. I remember Chinese folks in NYC protesting against the movie. But the reality was just too close for me to go to China Town. I couldn't believe they put that movie out there. I wasn't in a gang, but knew a lot of Korean gang members. And few of friends lived near downtown Manhattan. Things I saw, things I heard about.. That movie scared the hell out of me. Year after the movie, we were in Chinatown buying fire crackers for the independence day. I almost shit myself with fire crackers going off everywhere. Never been to Chinatown after that.
I almost have the same story.
That was a freakish movie for it’s time! My Chinatown experience was San Fran though.