Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
First of all, thanks to @cshubhra for posting a coloring progression thread of his meerschaum and @didimauw for the inspiration doing a 1 pipe challenge for a year. This sparked my interest on doing something similar. While I have always claimed that I want pipes to be designated to tobacco I decided on doing something different, this shows how perspectives can change with the flick of a switch.

For the past month I've been smoking my meerschaums almost exclusively. I like the flavor they deliver, the way they smoke and allthough this might be debunked a few times I don't get any flavor difference when smoking different tobaccos. But what i'm most obsessed with is coloring of a meerschaum. I'm not a big smoker (maybe 10 bowls a week), but in the past month smoking about 50 bowls in my meerschaum I definitely see a change of color on the pipe itself. Somehow that change in color makes me smoking the pipe even more, next to it delivers just the right flavors for me.

Based on my experience (which might be scarce) the past month and shopping around I pulled the trigger to do a 1 year pipe challenge on a meerschaum. While it isn't as challenging as what Kevin did with a cheap basket pipe, this challenge is all about how it colors and if it changes anything in flavor during the year. Also this challenge will put me on the right path to buying more tobacco in 2023, where it might becoming harder or impossible to buy it online in 2024 in the EU. I have a bunch of cigars in storage which will be untouched for a year which is also a bonus aging them a little bit. So for now I only see plus sides on this challenge.

Like you might know I love my Altinay pipes so there could not be any other pipe for this challenge than a Altinay. Yesterday I ordered this pipe;

ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_20221013_8650-800x571.jpg

ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_20221013_8652-800x571.jpg

ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_20221013_8653-800x571.jpg

ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_20221013_8654-800x571.jpg

Altinay Dimensions.PNG

Why this particular pipe? I like rusticated meerschaum, I like the rusticated end of the shank and the rusticated top of the bowl, the bent is right for me and the dimensions makes it versatile enough to smoke different cuts of tobacco. I have smoked back to back bowls in my other meerschaums without a problem, so for a longer smoke I just pack a second bowl. I'm not really partial to a case with a meerschaum (the Altinay pouches are really good quality IMO, not your average pipesock), but as i'm carrying this pipe around I wanted a case with it.

I'm going to do a update of the pipe every month (which is about 40 to 50 bowls a month) with photo's and the number of bowls in it. Being a numbers guy I also will keep track which style of tobacco I smoked, while it might not be important for the coloring, I'm still curious if it has any effect on it at all. I'm not a seasonal tobacco smoker and I presently don't actively buy aromatics I tend to gravitate a bit more to different tobaccos in each season.

I hope you all can enjoy my voyage in this endeavor.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
a cheap basket pipe
I would hardly call any meerschaum a cheap basket pipe and considering he used an SMS, I'd call them up there with AKB.

Yesterday I ordered this pipe;
Having a fairly small chamber, you should see it beginning to color almost immediately. Put off cleaning it until just prior to smoking it again to give it extra time to absorb the oils and nicotine to expedite the coloring.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I would hardly call any meerschaum a cheap basket pipe and considering he used an SMS, I'd call them up there with AKB.

Having a fairly small chamber, you should see it beginning to color almost immediately. Put off cleaning it until just prior to smoking it again to give it extra time to absorb the oils and nicotine to expedite the coloring.
Thanks for tips!

I only remembered him doing that challenge with a Dr. Grabow, if he has a threat with a meerschaum I either didn't search or didn't do my best searching for it or he didn't post about it. Not to disqualify any pipe brand as a cheap basket pipe!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for tips!

I only remembered him doing that challenge with a Dr. Grabow, if he has a threat with a meerschaum I either didn't search or didn't do my best searching for it or he didn't post about it. Not to disqualify any pipe brand as a cheap basket pipe!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Awesome I can't wait to see how it colors! I've been smoking nothing but meers for at least a few months now without touching anything else. My smooth meers don't color as fast as my carved one. So yours should be a good specimen.
And yeah I tried it with a SMS, but didn't last the full year. I actually caved because I bought my first commission briar, which I ended up absolutely hating and selling anyways. Stupid stupid stupid.

I'm expecting my new meer by next week I hope, and depending in what I think of it, may join you for a year. Maybe I'll wait till the first of the year to make it easy.

Anyhow, good luck on your journey, and stay strong! I'll be following this thread for updates!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Also I want to say as well...

I received a phone call after @weezell sent me my SMS Meer. I did get one thing out of the B.S we shot back and forth. He told me not to let this become a tasking job, and don't let it ruin smoking/meers. I took his advice in my attempt, as I was feeling burned out. Honestly I smoked mostly Ryback at the time and I think that was the problem. But as many times as I tell you to keep going and stay strong, don't let this ruin anything for you!

Reactions: JOHN72 and seanv

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
That's a pretty sweet texture on that meer. I look forward to seeing how it colors.

I've always wondered when I see all of the color start at the bottom of the pipe like gravity was involved in the coloring process... what would happen if you only smoked the pipe upside down and stored it upside down.

Thanks Michael! I really love rusticated meer.

Actually there is gravity involved, fluids and other chemicals created during a smoke go down and collect on the bottom.

I've seen a video of a guy who had a tip for it; smoke the pipe upside down so the smoke goes up against the pipe 😂 maybe it was just a joke, but he seemed serious about it. He said the smoke from the bowl is coloring the bowl also, but I think it's way more effective to get the fluids down instead the leave via the top uhhh bottom of the bowl.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks Michael! I really love rusticated meer.

Actually there is gravity involved, fluids and other chemicals created during a smoke go down and collect on the bottom.

I've seen a video of a guy who had a tip for it; smoke the pipe upside down so the smoke goes up against the pipe 😂 maybe it was just a joke, but he seemed serious about it. He said the smoke from the bowl is coloring the bowl also, but I think it's way more effective to get the fluids down instead the leave via the top uhhh bottom of the bowl.
The first bit of coloring will just be superficial discoloration from the pipe warming and can be removed with a heat gun, hot wax, an alcohol wipe, or on this case a jeweler's cloth while trying to shine the band.

20221205_082711.jpg

When you start to see an ashy color appearing on the heel, then your in business with the internal coloring and it'll start spreading from there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
First of all, thanks to @cshubhra for posting a coloring progression thread of his meerschaum and @didimauw for the inspiration doing a 1 pipe challenge for a year. This sparked my interest on doing something similar. While I have always claimed that I want pipes to be designated to tobacco I decided on doing something different, this shows how perspectives can change with the flick of a switch.

For the past month I've been smoking my meerschaums almost exclusively. I like the flavor they deliver, the way they smoke and allthough this might be debunked a few times I don't get any flavor difference when smoking different tobaccos. But what i'm most obsessed with is coloring of a meerschaum. I'm not a big smoker (maybe 10 bowls a week), but in the past month smoking about 50 bowls in my meerschaum I definitely see a change of color on the pipe itself. Somehow that change in color makes me smoking the pipe even more, next to it delivers just the right flavors for me.

Based on my experience (which might be scarce) the past month and shopping around I pulled the trigger to do a 1 year pipe challenge on a meerschaum. While it isn't as challenging as what Kevin did with a cheap basket pipe, this challenge is all about how it colors and if it changes anything in flavor during the year. Also this challenge will put me on the right path to buying more tobacco in 2023, where it might becoming harder or impossible to buy it online in 2024 in the EU. I have a bunch of cigars in storage which will be untouched for a year which is also a bonus aging them a little bit. So for now I only see plus sides on this challenge.

Like you might know I love my Altinay pipes so there could not be any other pipe for this challenge than a Altinay. Yesterday I ordered this pipe;

View attachment 185336

View attachment 185337

View attachment 185338

View attachment 185339

View attachment 185340

Why this particular pipe? I like rusticated meerschaum, I like the rusticated end of the shank and the rusticated top of the bowl, the bent is right for me and the dimensions makes it versatile enough to smoke different cuts of tobacco. I have smoked back to back bowls in my other meerschaums without a problem, so for a longer smoke I just pack a second bowl. I'm not really partial to a case with a meerschaum (the Altinay pouches are really good quality IMO, not your average pipesock), but as i'm carrying this pipe around I wanted a case with it.

I'm going to do a update of the pipe every month (which is about 40 to 50 bowls a month) with photo's and the number of bowls in it. Being a numbers guy I also will keep track which style of tobacco I smoked, while it might not be important for the coloring, I'm still curious if it has any effect on it at all. I'm not a seasonal tobacco smoker and I presently don't actively buy aromatics I tend to gravitate a bit more to different tobaccos in each season.

I hope you all can enjoy my voyage in this endeavor.
You can't do any better than an Altinay meer IMO...and that one is very nice. Looking forward to your progress.

Reactions: seanv