Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. While this one will fail, it eventually will come to fruition.

Plan (buy) accordingly.
I'm not sold on it failing. This seems pretty bipartisan, with both sides engaged on it getting passed through.

But, I can pray... but my prayers will only hold it off for just so long.

It will be interesting to see how the pipe community evolves in the face of this. I know that The Briary, like most pipe B&Ms still relies on online sales. They are not the cheapest online vendors, but people buy from them online to support them. So, Skip says that if the law is passed, he will just close up. He proposes that in store sales will never offset what he would lose to online.
I think that if no one could buy online that more people would drive and buy more with each purchase, but many would just set the hobby as a whole aside, instead of paying $25-35 a tin at a store. Especially given that many folks think of themselves as NOT addicted. Without a deep seated need for your pipe, why would you triple how much you spend a month? It's not like cigarettes where jumping from $1.25 a pack to $7 a pack, you keep on buying because it is easier than detoxing out of the whole addiction.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
This is good info to know. The Gawith troubles were enough, but hearing this news made it all the easier to order a lb of GH Rich Dark Honeydew this afternoon....

Reactions: BROBS

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Skip says that if the law is passed, he will just close up
This is the travesty of these laws, they do hurt the small businesses.
Like the whole cigar industry, also is ultimately dependent on rollers/factories in Dominican Republic, Nicaragua etc.
Don't know how it can be shown to lawmakers that these are the backbones.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Even our local B&M sells a ton of rolling tobacco online. Not sure it could survive without it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This is the travesty of these laws, they do hurt the small businesses.
Like the whole cigar industry, also is ultimately dependent on rollers/factories in Dominican Republic, Nicaragua etc.
Don't know how it can be shown to lawmakers that these are the backbones.
The very aim is to stop smoking altogether till the year of 2035,also to make selling and acquisitions of any tobacco product as difficult ,and pricey as they can , there is no place for any mercy or softness,no matter how many existing Tobacconists will have to close them businesses but smoking has to stop,thats what this all about is ,its a new progressive and only acceptable way of thinking in modern western world

Jun 9, 2018
England
Will this be a nationwide ban? I thought different states had autonomy when it comes to this sort of thing? Like Washington is stricter and more repressive when it comes to tobacco legislation than say Texas.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
I thought different states had autonomy when it comes to this sort of thing? Like Washington is stricter and more repressive when it comes to tobacco legislation than say Texas.
When the feds ban something it's banned, despite what an individual state wants. States are not supposed to be able to override a federal ban. They can be stricter, but not less. This is the controversy behind the whole legalized pot thing. Even if a state votes to override a Federal law, they can't constitutionally. What has made it so that states that do this with pot can keep selling is that the president refuses to take the matter to the courts. However, banks, being Federally controlled cannot allow a pot business to have an account, so they have to work around not being able to use a Federally regulated bank.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
When the feds ban something it's banned, despite what an individual state wants. States are not supposed to be able to override a federal ban. They can be stricter, but not less. This is the controversy behind the whole legalized pot thing. Even if a state votes to override a Federal law, they can't constitutionally. What has made it so that states that do this with pot can keep selling is that the president refuses to take the matter to the courts. However, banks, being Federally controlled cannot allow a pot business to have an account, so they have to work around not being able to use a Federally regulated bank.

Except where marijuana is concerned. The states are finally seeing the pointlessness behind Washington's approach.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
That sucks. I've got enough to last me for the rest of my years at twice my normal consumption rate. Uncle Sam has a lot of folks in D.C. working hard to make sure we have nothing left to enjoy in life.

Funny thing is that there is a huge push to legalize weed in most states but we're working just as hard to ban tobacco. Don't get me wrong. I couldn't care less if they legalized marijuana or not. I find it strange that we're giving preference to one substance for recreational use but banning another. Sure, there are medicinal properties to marijuana that tobacco probably doesn't have but I'm talking about recreational use.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
What’s so offensive is there is absolutely NO accommodation for those that can & want to purchase legally. No attempt at an age verification system, no recognition that we are not hapless addicts. it’s robbery of our right to life, liberty, & pursuit of happiness as most here on this board have no other purchase option.

Sure glad lawmakers such as The Pious Frank Pallone are addressing this minuscule issue while completely ignoring things like servicing the National Debt.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Hopefully common sense prevails and they just ban online cigarette sales and leave pipe tobacco & cigars alone. Sadly common sense and government (of all flavours) are rarely acquainted with one another.

Daughters & Ryan doesn't help that situation by selling tobacco cut for dual use.
Sure...but if anyone thinks their state is going to step in and protect them should the feds decide to go after them is going to have a rude awakening.

Depends. If the person was acting within the letter of the state law, that could trigger an interesting response.

Status
Not open for further replies.