PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
So jealous. I truly admire you. My wife and I have talked about homesteading. It sounds wonderful if you can make it work. Perhaps I missed it, but how are you providing for the basics? Food, etc?

Reactions: Latakia Dave

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That was a magnificent duty call for your dad. You needed it to end, but don't discount the good you did, especially when he was not able to reciprocate nor understand. That was one of the great accomplishments of your life, so give yourself that. Now you've plunged into a life adventure few have ever experienced to this degree. Bravo! I returned to pipes in a demanding caretaker situation, and it really helped, where alcohol wouldn't have worked and other relaxations didn't fit. Looks like life will unfold in further interesting ways. Keep us posted.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks for the Kudos guys.
Snowhill, Thoreau had it right!
Sittingbear, there are plenty of rabbits, squirrels, turkey, and deer up here. But I do go into town now and then to do a little handyman work. That allows me to pay for gas, truck insurance, cell phone, and staples. And I get fruit and veggies at the store.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Sir, I admire your courage and fortitude. Truly! It takes a great deal to take the plunge. I wish I had your courage and I wish you all the best. I'm looking forward to your updates here.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Heroic. Taking care of your family, and having the fortitude to cut against the grain is admirable. Its a very cool setup!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Monty, there are nights that I lull myself to sleep with thoughts of living just as you are now.
How long have you been out there? looks like you made it through at least one winter. How was that? How cold did it get? Were you able to keep the tent fairly warm?
Good on ya'.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Your service to your father is a magnificent testimony to your character. And now, striking out on a new, "off the grid" lifestyle, is about as courageous as it gets! I hope you find it to be a spiritually rewarding experience. Thoreau's got nothin' on you, buddy! :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thoreau was a fine writer and thinker and had lasting influence on forming the American character. He did pop home for a home-cooked meal from mom and received other support from friends and neighbors, so his wasn't entirely an exercise in outdoor living, just spare living. This, on the other hand, is real outdoor living. I've lived outdoors for weeks, but not through the seasons. I did see a snow cap appear overnight one time, and spent another night in an insufficient sleeping bag in November, with lots of coats and stuff over me/us. But Monty's camp site is the real deal.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks again for all the kind words and support. It's nice to hear.
Woodsroad, I got here November 7th, 2015. I was worried because I didn't want to set up in the snow. I got here, got set up and the snows started 4 days later. So I dodged one there.
The coldest it has been is -2 degrees F. I can maintain an inside temp in the high 60's, low 70's when it's zero outside.
I got a 4dog wood stove, and two water jackets for hot water, but I took one off. Didnt need two, and found it blocks the heat to my chair. Lol
I have a tent from Denver Tents. Its very windy up here during the winter. Routinely in blows in the 40's, several times a month in the 60's, and had one wind storm that I clocked at 82mph gusts! Now I don't know about yall, but I didn't know there was a cabin tent made that could hold up to that! But, I sure picked that correctly. This tent is my lifeboat, and it's served me well through two winters now.
I didn't completely give up the comforts of society. I have electricity via a Goal Zero Yeti 400, and can fully charge it in one day with two Goal Zero solar panels I have hooked together. I have a 12v rope light in my tent for light. I have a 17" 1080p flat screen tv, a bluray player, and tons of movies in cd holders. I also read a lot. The greatest part of this for me, is that I can do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it. No phones to answer, nobody knocks on my door. Haven't seen a soul up here, it's very secluded, and it's free!
When I do have to work, it's important, getting food, water, or firewood. So it doesn't seem like work because it's necessary for me to stay alive.
I'll post more pics when I go down to town in a few weeks. I'll keep you all posted and tell you some interesting things I've seen up here. It's hard to do this from camp on my cell. I got to type every letter. But stay tuned to this thread and I'll keep posting stuff.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, Monty. I echo Cortez's heartfelt sentiments. Having been there with my father, and now my mother, I know how all-consuming taking care of a declining parent is. My best wishes to you and please keep us informed. More photos!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
So one might ask, were you worried Monty? Being up there alone?
This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I wasn't sure I'd get the opportunity, so when the time came, I made the opportunity. When I got here, got set up, and got snowed in, and realized, shit, I got no firewood!! I had to spend several weeks learning what to look for to fall a standing dead tree that's not rotten or eaten up with fungus. But I made it through that first winter. Then spent time last spring and summer getting firewood for this winter, so this winter was easier.
Then the first wind storm I had I thought for sure I was a goner. Being inside here, at night, thinking the next gusts is going to take me, the tent, and a burning hot wood stove and blow it all away, well it was a long night. But now, I have complete faith in what I can handle, what my tent can handle, and nothing really bothers me anymore.
Several times I've had less than $2 in my checking account, and it didn't bother me in the least. Because it doesn't really matter, like food, water, or firewood does.
So now I'm very comfortable and truly feel this is home. And I sleep very well. And usually mope around with a large grin on my face.

• Love

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks Woodsroad.
I was really at the end of my rope. Severe depression, drank like a fish, over weight, and smoked cigs going on 42yrs.
Now, I'm not depressed. I've lost weight, quit drinking to excess, and quit cigs. That's when I delved back into my pipes. And they go with this lifestyle like peas and carrots!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I'll post more pics when I get to town and can use wifi.
When I first told people what I was going to do before coming up here, all the women said I was crazy and wouldn't make it. All the guys were jealous as hell and said go do it! Lol

• Love

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Technically yes. But I don't. I'm at the opposite end of the forest from the regular campgrounds. Rangers never come here, no reason to, nobody is here but me!
I'm way down and old fireroad that hasn't been used in 20yrs.
It's a one hour 4wd ride just to get close to me. The Rangers got their hands full with regular campers at the other in of the forest. A long way from here.
And if by chance they do find me and ask me to move after a two week period, I'll say ok.