Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Darn! I missed this thread until just now. What a story! It is life-affirming, and take me back several years when you, Monty, were just starting your mountain dwelling. Some great posts back then.

And that CA woman was no lady. Whadda bitch!

Glad you are back, safe, healthy and posting here again!
It's great to be back! Just this short time back on the forum has renewed my spirit and hope in humanity. Nothing like a good pipe smoke and visiting with likeminded people. I really love this place. Can you tell I don't have a life here in society? lol

And ya she was a sociopathic bitch from hell. There are some articles in the Albuquerque newspapers about her throwing up that gate and pissing the locals off. The people of Ribera had been using that road to go up the mountains for generations. In comes this crazy bitch from CA that decides she doesn't want them going past per property. It didn't sit well at all and frankly I'm very surprised they didn't take her out.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I took two geology courses as an undergrad to fulfill a science requirement and loved 'em. We did field trips and suss out the outcrops and underlying synclines and anticlines and the different layers of igneous and sedimentary rocks and find fossils and stuff. I actually used my biology courses extensively in my career, despite having a completely different major, but I also remember the geology in at least some detail. We'd have practicum quizzes and move around tables of rock and fossils and answer questions. It was visual and tactile and really engaging. Wish I could remember the prof's name -- big bear of a guy, gruff but good natured. This was at the University of Illinois Chicago, not to be confused with University of Chicago.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I took two geology courses as an undergrad to fulfill a science requirement and loved 'em. We did field trips and suss out the outcrops and underlying synclines and anticlines and the different layers of igneous and sedimentary rocks and find fossils and stuff. I actually used my biology courses extensively in my career, despite having a completely different major, but I also remember the geology in at least some detail. We'd have practicum quizzes and move around tables of rock and fossils and answer questions. It was visual and tactile and really engaging. Wish I could remember the prof's name -- big bear of a guy, gruff but good natured. This was at the University of Illinois Chicago, not to be confused with University of Chicago.
Ya I started out as a Marketing major, but I took a Geology honors class to fulfill my science requirement, fell in love with it immediately, changed majors, and the rest is history! But as you can see, I'm an outdoor type of guy. I could have done the marketing shit, but I don't think it would have satisfied my primal spirit much.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
For anyone who is interested on where I was located... open up google maps click on layers to see in Sat view, copy and paste these coordinates in the search function just as they appear:

35.488513, -105.424899

If you zoom in a bit on my location, you will see a clearing. My tent was to the right of that under the trees (this sat image was obviously taken after I left) You can see the old logging road that follows in a north direction from the clearing and meets with a forest road close to the fork. if you zoom out a little and follow that fork to the right you will see a whiteish outcrop. This is the old Priest Mine, which was a mica mine from the early 1900's. It's a pegmatite dike. The mica was mined for electronics. Mica is an insulating material that does not conduct electricity, it provides advanced electrical insulation between electric circuit lines and was, and is widely used as a material in wiring boards and as the basis for electronic components. The interesting part is, they employed 8- and 9-year-old girls to separate the mica books because their fingers were so small they could do what no grown persons fingers could do. Which is one of the reasons the mine closed lol.

If you follow the forest road from the fork and go south, you will eventually come to the crazy bitches place who lives here. The red arrow is where they put the gate/chain up.

Inked1642174954943_LI.jpg

Road closure causes dispute in northern NM - https://www.abqjournal.com/1328954/road-closure-causes-dispute-in-northern-nm-ex-both-sides-refer-to-the-area-as-the-wild-wild-west.html

Legal battle over public access to private road looms - https://www.abqjournal.com/1354886/legal-battle-over-public-access-to-private-road-looms-ex-landowners-county-commission-appear-to-be-at-an-impasse.html

It appears they didn't do a follow up story because eventually the locals raised hell and the county had an emergency meeting to designate B55 a county road all the way up to the national forest. Prior to that it ended several hundred yards south of her property, which is why she felt it was ok to claim the road as off limits between there and the national forest. End the end the county told her to stick her chain where the sun don't shine and that was that. The articles don't really show what raving bitch she really was. She lied in the article. there were some people that dumped a little stuff about 10 years ago, but it's not an ongoing problem.

The Sat image is deceptive. It doesn't look like much, but that terrain between her place and mine was pretty steep, rocky and messy in places. It would take me a good hour in 4wd to go between my camp and where her place is.

If you click off of layers back to normal view you can see how far I was into the National Forest in green

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very cool, very illustrative and the GPS coordinates work a treat, at least on Apple Maps.

I drove for hours trying to find a short cut to the ski basin, roads getting sketchy, low on gas, and getting dark. My GF thought me a hero to get us back alive (from the navigation errors I made.)
No, wait it was the fault of the map showing roads where there were none.!! So I have some idea of the terrain.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Well Monty, I have to ask. Have you started cooking up your next adventure/boondoggle?

3 years is a heck of an accomplishment, especially to remain undetected. There are schools people go to to learn this skill that might be interested in learning about your experience.
Well, unfortunately, living back in society means I have to bend to society's rules, which means I have to get a job in order to afford a house blah blah blah. And as much as I'd like to think that I'd like to go teach others how to do what I did, the truth is I don't. I'm not that good at teaching others, don't have the patience for it unfortunately. I've had people tell me I should write a book. But the truth is, it's not nearly as dramatic as one might think, or see on silly reality tv shows. For me it was a very personal thing. I did it for a reason, and it accomplished the healing I needed. I still wished I had taken video on a weekly basis. I could make a pretty good living off a YouTube channel with that now. But I didn't know then what I know now.. unfortunately.