PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Never seen that shape from Mark but I can tell you that he’s meticulous about drilling his pipes so I’d have to say I would be confident about that. That shape is difficult to find with good drilling. I’ve tried a few but didn’t care for them.

Aug 1, 2012
I hated Oom Pauls until I got a family era Sasieni one. Had to smoke it before I sold it and man if I didn't fall in love with it. It's the perfect jaw hanger/clenched for me. They hide the weight of a chunky pipe pretty well too.

As for Mark, I have a couple of pieces of his work and they are superb, comfortable smokers.

Last edited:

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
While I’ve never owned a Mark Tinskey, I have many Oom Pauls, one of my favorite shapes. They get a bad rap for mostly not passing pipe cleaners 🤷🏻‍♂️. Nature of the beast. Mine all smoke dry, or rather I smoke dry. View attachment 249232
How does the bottom left one clench due to its stem not as deeply bent ? Thanks for the photo of your collection

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
How does the bottom left one clench due to its stem not as deeply bent ? Thanks for the photo of your collection
That’s an Ehrlich, and I suspect it was more deeply bent at one time but has straightened over time. Probably left in a hot car at some point. But it clenches fine, it’s got a fairly prominent button, no complaints from me.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I do have an Ehrlich Oom Paul, im not a clencher i'm a holder, but i will say i love this pipe for hanging, very comfortable and convenient, the only thing i hate about it is that it's a pain in the ass to clean the stem, I have falcon cleaners but even with those it's rough, i might get some of the diamond wire and run it though a bit and see if i can open it up without doing any damage. Short of that i guess just running hot water through it every couple uses to clean it would be the thing to do.

Edit: Seems the cleaner issue is the common denominator here. Glad to know it's not just this pipe / stem.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I do have an Ehrlich Oom Paul, im not a clencher i'm a holder, but i will say i love this pipe for hanging, very comfortable and convenient, the only thing i hate about it is that it's a pain in the ass to clean the stem, I have falcon cleaners but even with those it's rough, i might get some of the diamond wire and run it though a bit and see if i can open it up without doing any damage. Short of that i guess just running hot water through it every couple uses to clean it would be the thing to do.

Edit: Seems the cleaner issue is the common denominator here. Glad to know it's not just this pipe / stem.
Mine is also a pain to get a cleaner through.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
What didn’t you like about them
Well, several things: the shape in general is a bit off putting although I do like pipes with just slightly less of a bend; most that I’ve tried had so-so drilling and tended to gurgle (and of course passing a pipe cleaner isn’t really possible so that was something I never found a way around); the pipe always seemed too close to my face and the smoke would invariably bother me or get in my eyes while reading or working; and finally I found them hard to light.

Other than that I loved them 😂

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
While I’ve never owned a Mark Tinskey, I have many Oom Pauls, one of my favorite shapes. They get a bad rap for mostly not passing pipe cleaners 🤷🏻‍♂️. Nature of the beast. Mine all smoke dry, or rather I smoke dry. View attachment 249232
My Peterson pub pipe has a hard time getting a pipe cleaner through too. Just takes some finagling. Worth it for the ease of clenching for such a large bowl.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
My MT is not an OP, but it is the only pipe out of 35 I own that I deem an underperformer and would happily sell/trade for a factory pipe. It draws thin smoke. It cost me triple what a decent Savinelli or Nording pipe might. Seems like I bought an outlier based on overall internet chatter, but I would not buy one of his pipes again regardless of shape. Plenty of OPs out there made by others.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I've only one Mark Tinsky pipe, a bent Author shape. Smokes great, stem work is wonderful and drilling is spot on. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another pipe from him. Don't have anything to add specifically about Oom Paul shapes.