PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
I remember reading on a different forum (now discontinued), quite a few years back, the comment made by a wise poster:
He said when he first opened a tin or can, he liked to spend some time just communing with the tobacco .... visually, looking at the various colors & textures .... smelling the aromas .... touching it to feel whatever "stickiness" there might be, or dryness .... inspecting the cut. He said that communing with freshly opened tobacco wasn't a quick process. He took his time, learning about whatever new treasures this tin or can offered .... trying to anticipate what was in store for him. He said even if it was a tobacco he'd smoked before, there was always some difference from one tin or can to another. This "communing" represented, to him, the beginning of a relationship he was going to have with this tobacco.
I thought this was a magnificent comment (!!!).

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
love your pipe stump!

I think you are referring to my Ash Tray, thanks a lot! I comissioned it off one of my friends who is a woodworker. He made 2 of each size pipe rest that are friction fit. Works with both bent and straight pipes. We went back and forth on the design. Here is a better pic. He also made a matching tamper (not pictured).

IMG_6555.jpeg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I remember reading on a different forum (now discontinued), quite a few years back, the comment made by a wise poster:
He said when he first opened a tin or can, he liked to spend some time just communing with the tobacco .... visually, looking at the various colors & textures .... smelling the aromas .... touching it to feel whatever "stickiness" there might be, or dryness .... inspecting the cut. He said that communing with freshly opened tobacco wasn't a quick process. He took his time, learning about whatever new treasures this tin or can offered .... trying to anticipate what was in store for him. He said even if it was a tobacco he'd smoked before, there was always some difference from one tin or can to another. This "communing" represented, to him, the beginning of a relationship he was going to have with this tobacco.
I thought this was a magnificent comment (!!!).
If you like that, you'll love "A Natural History of the Senses" by Diane Ackerman. 👍 👍

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Why not, nothing wrong with Mold. My late grandfather was from there, still got cousins who are happy there still.
View attachment 248127
Not the most ‘happening’ of places but It’s got St. Mary’s church.
View attachment 248129
Along with the surrounding countryside, nice place to live.
View attachment 248130
Mold - Town in Flintshire, North Wales
Mould - Found in American tobacco tins….(mostly).
@simong Love the photos! I like the bilingual signs in Wales; I saw some bilingual signage on buses in Chester and the Welsh train I photographed in Crewe on the way to the Battle of Nantwich. Hope to see you at Nottingham again this year; I'll be wearing the Redcoat again!

Reactions: simong and PaulRVA