PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Title edited. Rule 9, please. -jpm

I am in the market for my first new pipe and have narrowed it down to Petersons system standard or spigot, B42, 302 or 307. Unfortunately my local B&M doesn't carry Peterson so must order on-line, I'm wanting a decent size bowl for an hour long smoke but also a good clencher. From what I have read these three shapes should fit the bill. I really like the looks of the 302 but concerned it may not hold enough tobacco and B42 may be to large to clench comfortably so maybe the 307 is a good compromise? Also wondering if the extra expense of the spigot is worth it? Your help in this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Spigot vs standard system is just furniture. If you want extra silver, go for it. Peterson system pipes are very forgiving, but can get funky if you don't regularly swab out the well. Go for the one that has the shape and chamber dimensions you want. A 302 isn't going to smoke any better or worse than a B42. My first Peterson was an estate 314 from around the 50s. Got it on ebay for $70. It was an excellent smoker. I gifted it to a friend and it's his favorite pipe.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I love them! Just be sure to keep them CLEAN. Go to Smokingpipes to order so you can see the actual pipe you will get. I often am critical of the curvature of the stem on some so I rely on the pictures. The military bits on the system pipes allow you to pop off the stem to fix any gurgling or clogging issues even if the pipe cleaner won pass all the way through. The Standard Systems are very good value.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Deluxe or bust.
But why? There might be a difference in Briar and finish, but I can't find another criteria.

I have a system standard XL315 which is I think the largest of the system pipes, dunno if the Pub pipes are also considered a system pipe. Like said the difference in shapes is just a matter of preference. For me the verdict is still out on smoking it. I dunno about the P lip, it clenches great with the large button and if you get a full bent or 7/8 like I did it hangs great on the chin, but I didn't get the flavor out of the pipe I wanted. I dry my tobacco bonedry so the benefit of the moisture well isn't there for me yet. I only smoked it about 5 or 6 times since getting it, so maybe it has to "break in" a bit more.

Spigots look great, if you have the budget for it I would certainly consider it, but they don't bring anything to the table except looks and maybe a better piece of wood which I think is neglectable with a factory pipe.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
But why? There might be a difference in Briar and finish, but I can't find another criteria.

I have a system standard XL315 which is I think the largest of the system pipes, dunno if the Pub pipes are also considered a system pipe. Like said the difference in shapes is just a matter of preference. For me the verdict is still out on smoking it. I dunno about the P lip, it clenches great with the large button and if you get a full bent or 7/8 like I did it hangs great on the chin, but I didn't get the flavor out of the pipe I wanted. I dry my tobacco bonedry so the benefit of the moisture well isn't there for me yet. I only smoked it about 5 or 6 times since getting it, so maybe it has to "break in" a bit more.

Spigots look great, if you have the budget for it I would certainly consider it, but they don't bring anything to the table except looks and maybe a better piece of wood which I think is neglectable with a factory pipe.
It's personal preference. I've found that better briar smokes cooler and lasts longer. Even with a factory pipe. If you care more for anesthetics then NY all means pick the pipe that suits your taste.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
307 should fit the bill. Unless you want larger. It should give 45 min to an hour smoke or more depends on how you smoke. Then again, 302 will do about the same. They both clench nicely. System pipes are nice. If possible go with vulcanite stem. The P-lips on vulcanite stems are more comfortable than ones on acrylic stems. Less expensive System pipes have rather clumsy P-lip and stem. Deluxe System pipes now have acrylic stems, but they are shaped properly. House pipes are only System pipes with vulcanite stems. System pipes do give dryer smoke, but if you already know what you like and know how to get it, it might not be that much of a benefit. Still, I enjoy my System pipes, both 302 and 307.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
If possible go with vulcanite stem. The P-lips on vulcanite stems are more comfortable than ones on acrylic stems. Less expensive System pipes have rather clumsy P-lip and stem.
I found that their vulcanite stems are more tubular, and therefore harder for me to clench. I got rid of it and have much better luck with the standard acrylic. Granted, I'm not talking about the vulcanite on the house pipes.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida

I'm looking at the 315 system. Is it lots larger than the 305? I like the calabash look.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I found that their vulcanite stems are more tubular, and therefore harder for me to clench. I got rid of it and have much better luck with the standard acrylic. Granted, I'm not talking about the vulcanite on the house pipes.
Premier and Standard System comes with rather rectangular acrylic stem that just feels funny. And the P-lip on those things are like misshapen lollipop. Just a personal opinion. System Spigot also has acrylic stem, but much better made. Now, Sherlock Holmes series isn't System pipes, but their vulcanite stems and P-lips are very well made like the House pipe. But the important thing is you like what you like.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I am in the market for my first new pipe and have narrowed it down to Petersons system standard or spigot, B42, 302 or 307. Unfortunately my local B&M doesn't carry Peterson so must order on-line, I'm wanting a decent size bowl for an hour long smoke but also a good clencher. From what I have read these three shapes should fit the bill. I really like the looks of the 302 but concerned it may not hold enough tobacco and B42 may be to large to clench comfortably so maybe the 307 is a good compromise? Also wondering if the extra expense of the spigot is worth it? Your help in this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I'm using a 302. Pretty good in everything. The length, the bend, the bowl, the shape, the size, the clench... basically everything. It can easily last u 45 minutes smoke. Depend on how u puff, sometimes i can do for 1 hour.