PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I use just a bic and it works just fine but I was thinking of treating myself with something a little more crafty. I know people like the corona old boys, which are cool and pricey. I saw the reviews with muttenchops on his kiribi but just curious of all your thoughts and experience.

Reactions: kcghost and JOHN72

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Alltough I like the design of kiribis & IMC's and have investigated into buying one, I always fall back on a trusty BIC which are readily available in every gas station or grocery shop, if they break you lose 1 euro. Sure they are not windproof and they have the appeal of merde de cheval (presuming your French speaking?), but they do the job of making fire. For cigars I have a set of 1 and triple flame lighters from Amazon, if they break I lose 10 euros.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I've settled for putting a pipe insert in my Zippo. It's the only thing that's reliable outdoors. Indoors I use the Zippo to ignite a flame transference device, (aka a spill), which o then use to light my pipe.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have had 3 Kirbi’s. The shorty has been flawless for 2 years and fits well in the pocket. Holds a lot of fuel for its size. The full size had unfixable problem after a year. SP was great and sent me a new one pronto. (Excellent company) I’ve had no problems for 4 months now. All that said, I have an Old Boy that I love. There is a quality difference that I can’t exactly put into words but I feel it is there. The Old Boy was about $30 more than my bigger Kiribi and I think worth it. The Kiribi hold more fuel. The Old Boy has a built in tamper. If you get a good Kiribi, you will be happy. If you have problems, SP is there for you. Your call.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'd assume the Kiribis Old boy models are basically the same as Peterson lighter both in quality and price, one time I did consider having a Kiribi Kabuto but they are hard to find here in EU so I went with Peterson which I only use indoors, definitely, I could use better quality butane gas to fill it up, I'm using Ronson and other dollar store sub product which seem to create excessive soot

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
the little screw that secures the flip mechanism occasionally comes loose and I have to re-tighten it. Other than that, no difficulties.
OP, this is the most common complaint/issue I've heard. FWIW I haven't had that issue yet.

I really enjoy mine. Although I've only had it a bit shy of a year, it has been very seriously abused, without issue.

It works much better as a lighter than you would imagine. The double Jets on the kiribis also works pretty well in the event a slight breeze is around, unlike most other butane lighters I've used.

I was on the same page as far as "Why use anything but a Bic?"

But not everything has to make the most practical sense, and a nice lighter makes it easier to not char my pipe, and is much easier to effectively and quickly light my tobacco and get on with smoking puffy

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I want one of the two also. I am drawn to the Kiribi because of the price point and reviews. I absolutely do not need it I only enjoy my pipes outdoors so wind is an issue. I started with Bics and an old Zippo I bought a pipe Zippo and I really like it. The Pipe insert works well for me handles a lot ofwind and lasts a pretty long time. I actually enjoy the maintenance and filling it a small chore. I still want the Kiribi or Old Boy but the Zippo is still needed for wind. Let us know what you think about it when you get it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
These are my favorites, very versatile for at home and away from home. When I leave the house or for traveling, I like to use the kibiri more. But the clipper is the best for the day to day at work or on the street, it is an all terrain 4x4. The kibiri is more for showing off when you go to a fancy place to eat or drink beer, etc. Only smokers like us can enjoy these beautiful things. The electric vapers can not..................?IMG_3625[2606].jpg