Other Than You- What is Your Town Famous For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The city I was born in also gave the world Janice Joplin and Jimmy Johnson.
In 1971, the city where I graduated from high school, was proclaimed the "Football Capital of the World" because at the time there were 16 active NFL players who were from Beaumont.
The list:

Bubba Smith *
Jerry LeVias *
Warren Wells*
Mel Farr*
Miller Farr*
Johnny Fuller*
Gus Holloman *
Anthony Guillory *
Tody Smith *
Jesse Phillips*
Wayne Moore*
Dwight Harrison*
Charles Ford*
Bob Pollard
Billy Wright*
Wayne McDerman

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Beaumont, TX is the town I was born and raised in. It is most famous for the Spindletop oil gusher. Several well known country musicians call Beaumont home including George Jones, Clay Walker, Make Chestnut & Tracy Byrd. "The Big Bopper" started his radio career there. Beaumont is home to Babe Didrikson Zaharias – U.S. Olympian and co-founder of the Ladies Professional Golf Association. Several MLB & NFL players hail from my hometown, including hall of famer Bubba Smith, who also played Hightower in the Police Academy movies.

Beaumont is also home to the world's largest working fire hydrant. There's a few other small things, and a lot of other famous folks that grew up in the surrounding area, which is lovingly referred to as the "Golden Triangle."
1691591440487.png

Spencer, Ohio... the town I currently reside in... is known for nothing. It's a nice, quiet farming community... and I like it that way.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Cattle, Cider, Mappa Mundi, Nell Gwynne, David Garrick & St. John Kemble, to name a few. All very interesting of course but it’s probably most famous for knocking Newcastle Utd. out of the F.A. Cup.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Beaumont, TX is the town I was born and raised in. It is most famous for the Spindletop oil gusher. Several well known country musicians call Beaumont home including George Jones, Clay Walker, Make Chestnut & Tracy Byrd. "The Big Bopper" started his radio career there. Beaumont is home to Babe Didrikson Zaharias – U.S. Olympian and co-founder of the Ladies Professional Golf Association. Several MLB & NFL players hail from my hometown, including hall of famer Bubba Smith, who also played Hightower in the Police Academy movies.

Beaumont is also home to the world's largest working fire hydrant. There's a few other small things, and a lot of other famous folks that grew up in the surrounding area, which is lovingly referred to as the "Golden Triangle."
View attachment 238842

Spencer, Ohio... the town I currently reside in... is known for nothing. It's a nice, quiet farming community... and I like it that way.
Beaumont is also the one of the only two natural deep water ports on the gulf coast. My three remaining sisters still live in the Beaumont area.

I graduated from South Park High School in 1971.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Outside of Romford in Essex we are famous for the best counterfeit £5 note ever produced and also the best fake £1 coins courtesy of the Ford Motor Company tool and die stamping shop. In terms of where I spend large parts of the year, Lutz Florida they filmed Edward Scissor Hands on the subdivision where I live. As for NYC well I guess all sorts of sh*t!

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Faux start of the "Idiotroad" race maybe. "The Air Crossroads of the World" possibly. Twice an "All American City." certainly merits acknowledgement. "Baker Bob" a nationally known serial killer. I'm sure there are other notables.
The Bucther Baker, yikes!!
Man, that story is truly terrifying. I’ll piggyback on this one, and add that the majority of his “hunting areas” were near the town I live in, Palmer, along the Knik River.
On a lighter note, I guess you could say Palmer’s known for the Alaska State Fair, Matanuska Brewery, and the water tower. Some neat history here with the Colony homesteaders.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon