PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
For years I have worked on sax mouthpieces and pipe projects using Tropical Shine nail files and blocks in different grits. They are great tools. Today I found another product our wives have that are great for pipes. They use these disposable clothes for cleaning their faces and taking off makeup...kind of like baby wipes but different. I had a couple of them that were dried out so I took some denicotea dentclean made for cleaning pipes and I dabbed a bit of that liquid on them and cleaned my pipe chambers. I dont know if this stuff is in the US but its good stuff, epecially if you want to clean acrylic stems and keep alcohol away.

The wipes are strong and just ripped the excess crap off the chambers with a few spins without tearing. Paper towels are just too fragile. These guys have a nice thickness to strength ratio...meaning they are still thin but quite strong. I have not tried a fresh one that is infused with detergent so I dont know if they would make a pipe smell. Probably not since they are not perfumed.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Similar experience with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser wipes. They are between an 1/8th & 1/4 inch thick
And about 3x7 inches long.
They work better than the standard block shaped eraser and defunked a Savinelli Vulcanite stem gently and with a quickness without any residual mess. I don’t know if they are marketed in France but hopefully it’s like a “Royal With Cheese” 😂

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I know what they are. Ive only been over here about 6 years. Im pretty sure we have those or one of the knock off makes. While there are a lot fewer consumer products here you can generally find what you need if you search online.

Reactions: PaulRVA
what do you mean by "clean the chambers"? The chamber is the actual inside of the stummel where you burn the tobacco. Are you using something on the inside of the stummel, or did you mean the outside surface of the stummel?

Also, Magic Erasers have a pretty powerful solvent imbedded into them. Using one of those without gloves makes the skin on my fingers start to just peel off and burn. For me, one will never touch my pipes. But, I do find that they clean the area under and around the toilet very well... with gloves.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
No I mean the chamber. They are dried out so there is no smell to the wipes. I put a little cleaner made for pipes on them and wipe them out after a smoke instead of paper towels....at least after a few smokes. Denicotea dentclean is made for cleaning chamber and stems. Its a pipe product. The makeup wipes simply make a really good and strong medium for cleaning. No tearing or leaving junk behind. I dont use them on the outside of pipes. For the outside I stick with traditional soft cloths and/or wax and buffer. I know a lot of guys use water here but there are also a number of people who report finish problems on the outside so I dont do that. With this process I end up with a pipe that is almost odorless and tastelss when empty.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Denicotea is a mild cleaner. I dont think it would be considered a solvent. Its very mild. I clean out the chamber to keep it clean...not bare wood clean...just not gunked full of crap. I like a really thin layer of carbon but not thick cake. I dont use it every time. Typically I smoke my pipe, empty it and wipe the chamber of big stuff with a paper towel. Occasionally I like to clean it out better and these make the job easier. I dont run water through them as many folks here suggest. Im not afraid of getting wood wet but I dont want to mess with the outer finish. The product is also good for acrylic stems as it has no alcohol

Thank you... it would help me respond if you used the reply function or the @Sigmund thing. I live by the red number at the top of the webpage. Otherwise, I wouldn't know that you responded to me... but I happened to of just been lurking when you replied, ha ha.

I'm a water rinser... But, I just enjoy hearing how others clean their pipes. Whatever works.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
@cosmicfolklore This is my substitue for water as I read in an old thread several members including yourself (on a Peterson) had finishs change. Part of the reason I pick certain pipes is the finish so I dont want to risk it. So far this works and I will probably buy a package and dry them out to use instead of paper towels for my normal wipe outs. They are thin and wont tear. Paper towels work but they kind of suck in terms of tearing. That is especiall the case in France. There is no such thing as a quality paper towel in France. They are all the cheapest of the cheap. Nothing decent. They tend to use and wash towels here more than paper towels so all you can get is 2 ply crap. But these wipes... you can scrub with them more than any paper towel....not that you necessarly need to...

Reactions: grimpeur
several members including yourself (on a Peterson) had finishs change.
Yes, when I was washing out the bowl coating. But, after I smoked it a couple of times, I was rinsing it out without any of the stain coming off. I think it just had to dry really well, and the warmth from smoking it dried it out.
But, if your method works for you, then just keep on keeping on. I was just asking questions to better understand. As I said, I am fascinated by how different people clean their pipes.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
@cosmicfolklore This is my substitue for water as I read in an old thread several members including yourself (on a Peterson) had finishs change. Part of the reason I pick certain pipes is the finish so I dont want to risk it. So far this works and I will probably buy a package and dry them out to use instead of paper towels for my normal wipe outs. They are thin and wont tear. Paper towels work but they kind of suck in terms of tearing. That is especiall the case in France. There is no such thing as a quality paper towel in France. They are all the cheapest of the cheap. Nothing decent. They tend to use and wash towels here more than paper towels so all you can get is 2 ply crap. But these wipes... you can scrub with them more than any paper towel....not that you necessarly need to...
It might be cheaper to use your solution on a washable cotton rag that you could use again & again & again...