PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Hello Fellow Pipe Enthusiasts,
My wife's Grandmaother gave me her late Husband's pipe collection. One of them is a Kaywoodie from 1930, or so I think. The stem is overlooked and I would love to fix it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20240215_083351.jpg
    20240215_083351.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240215_083400.jpg
    20240215_083400.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 35

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
If you heat the ball of the stinger with a lighter it will loosen the glue so you can gently turn the stinger. Be very careful and don’t get the flame too close to the rubber stem. Go easy at first. Also… I’ve used hot water to heat the stinger before. It can be tricky knowing which way to turn but go slow and easy and you should be able to correct it without much fuss. Don’t over heat it! Good luck.

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I got a couple of Kaywoodie's that are overclocked myself. I gotta try that hot water method.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Mine seems to be impervious to heat. I've gotten it very hot with the lighter, wrapped the stinger and used pliers. Nada. Maybe try to get the insert off and move it slightly? Or building up the bottom of the stem slightly with black CA glue?

I'm assuming that the stinger or insert came loose and someone glued it back incorrectly with CA glue.

Reactions: MattRVA

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Mine seems to be impervious to heat. I've gotten it very hot with the lighter, wrapped the stinger and used pliers. Nada. Maybe try to get the insert off and move it slightly? Or building up the bottom of the stem slightly with black CA glue?

I'm assuming that the stinger or insert came loose and someone glued it back incorrectly with CA glue.
I've had a lot better luck moving the insert. I have a glass top electric range and with the burner hot, hold the stummell on it with the aluminum insert flat on the glass. It doesn't take long. I use a piece of wooden dowel sharpened to a point- kind of like a sharpened pencil. With the insert heated, push the dowel into the aluminum and turn it counter-clockwise. I usually go a bit past the intended line-up point, then reheat it and thread the actual stem on and go clockwise until its perfect. This has worked well for me on 6-8 old KW's. I've tried to adjust the stinger and its never worked well for me........... Try it.