PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Causes a lot of confusion for new guys when discussing bowl shape for smoking preference. Some think that the shape of the stummel affects the characteristics of the smoke.

It's a bit like patting your belly and calling it your stomach. It's not language policing when anatomically speaking one is not the other. Watch the Dunhill factory video. The narrator goes so far as to call the shank the pipe's stem. Some will call a stem a bit when that's the section just before the button. Such inaccuracies can cause much confusion with new smokers particularly when the majority of the forum's attendance are newer smokers googling for information and have yet to join the forum.

View attachment 169718
Thanks ! Now i know difference between shank and stummel ! Although I can't imagine now referencing stummel in any conversation because I would refer to briar or pipe but maybe that will change.

Sep 20, 2022
I was packing too tight, not getting enough air through, having to relight, burning the crap out of my tongue.

Try packing too loose for a couple of bowls. See how that smokes and how you have to tamp it. Then slowly pack tighter until you get a good handle of where the tobacco needs to be. I found approaching it from the other way helped me get my finesse.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was packing too tight, not getting enough air through, having to relight, burning the crap out of my tongue.

Try packing too loose for a couple of bowls. See how that smokes and how you have to tamp it. Then slowly pack tighter until you get a good handle of where the tobacco needs to be. I found approaching it from the other way helped me get my finesse.
Dry and loose! Just think of the best thing you can imagine and do the opposite!

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Like Nancy Sinatra sings, “You been messin’ where you shouldn’t been a messin’!”
We can always work out our differences by smoking a bowl together...er...

...bowls...

🤔 (?)

No...

Wait...we smoke a chamber right? I guess we should just smoke a chamber together...

...No!

Sorry... I meant smoke two chambers together. That's it. We'll smoke two chambers of tobacco...

...each.

Two chambers each...

...Together!

But not both chambers together! We'll each smoke a separate chamber simultaneously. Is that correct?

😱

No!!!!!

Wait, you don't smoke the chamber! (Stupid stupid stupid.)

You smoke the PIPE!

But that doesn't make SENSE! It's not the pipe that smokes! You smoke the tobacco in the pipe. Right?

Crap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can go all the way from gravity loading, just letting the leaf fall loose, to going by thirds and packing harder each time. If you work with your hands or otherwise have strong hands, you're probably going to pack too tightly. You need some air in there to let the leaf burn and for draw. You can dry out a blend in a drying bowl or just by packing the pipe the night before you smoke it. Play around with it, loose packing, and gradations of firmer packing, and see what works. A charring light is often needed, but you shouldn't need six lights for a bowl, unless you are smoking it intermittently and let it go out (which sometimes works for me).

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We can always work out our differences by smoking a bowl together...er...

...bowls...

🤔 (?)

No...

Wait...we smoke a chamber right? I guess we should just smoke a chamber together...

...No!

Sorry... I meant smoke two chambers together. That's it. We'll smoke two chambers of tobacco...

...each.

Two chambers each...

...Together!

But not both chambers together! We'll each smoke a separate chamber simultaneously. Is that correct?

😱

No!!!!!

Wait, you don't smoke the chamber! (Stupid stupid stupid.)

You smoke the PIPE!

But that doesn't make SENSE! It's not the pipe that smokes! You smoke the tobacco in the pipe. Right?

Crap.
In regard to @Chasing Embers I’ll paraphrase a later passage from the song quoted earlier - what he knows we ain’t had time to learn! But enjoy trying to catch up!

• Love
Reactions: Winnipeger

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Thanks, everyone. Never thought I'd get so many replies!

I'm doing better by packing the bowl a bit less. (I actually find I want about half as much as I could possibly pack in there, to begin with.)

I took some of your advice and just dropped the tobacco in the bowl without packing, and then after a charring light gave it a gentle pack. This worked for a while, but after developing some white ash the bowl needed a bit more tamping to burn well. But by the end, I was having a really nice bowl of Presbyterian with plenty of smoke.

Appreciate the help!

manny816

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2020
Central NJ USA
I use a variation of the 3-step method. I gravity fill first, then fill to 2/3, press, then fill to the top and press. Works really well.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Oof a lot of semantics in this thread.

Choice in packing? Hm, It'll depend on the cut of the baccy and the chamber shape and size.

For rubbed-out, ribbon or shag - I favour the "spiral" method in the palm -- always seems to do the trick. 3-step or "frank" method is fine too.

Flakes (or cut plugs) and medallions are usually folded and stuffed for me. But many chop them up into a cube cut and gravity fill. Also with flakes you want to go with a looser pack - it expands (horizontally) and fills the void pretty quick.

I do think this changes the way the tobacco burns (and therefore the flavour - depending on your cadence etc.) Rubbed-out or chopped flakes tend to burn more quickly.

Example: I was smoking some Doblone D'Oro the other day in a tiny pipe. Usually, I stack 3 to 5 medallions and fold them up / roll them a bit and stuff them. The chamber was so small I ended up with a bad pack that way.

In that instance, it was better to just rub out and do the 3-step or spiral fill.

I had a devil of a time early on with relights. I needed to dry a bit more but I think what really helped is I STOPPED trying all the "methods" - Frank method, Three step method... i just couldn't get it so now I just gravity fill and rap the pipe on a leather mat or pal of my hand to settle it, add more and repeat and then lightly and evenly press to make sure there is reasonable contact and that seems to work most but NOT ALL the time. Sometimes I have to relight a bunch and i try not to worry - bic lighters are cheap and i got much bigger problems to worry about. When get a bowl that requires only a couple relights I just it but I can't figure out why it happens when it does - lol