PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
The GBD Century shape # 1624 arrived yesterday and was as described in this post;

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/gbd-century-cannot-find-shape-in-charts-expert-help-needed
So I started a little restoration work. I buffed the stem out on the buffing wheel using two grades of rubbing compound. I ended the job with a little wax to seal the stem. I think the effect is very nice;

frontview1.jpg

The pipe has a very nice deep carving running the length of the pipe as shown in this detail;

grain.jpg

This really lends itself to the overall effect on this pipe. The shape is one I have never seen, it is a poker, with a square shank that tapers to a saddle stem. The bottom of the pipe is flat and finished smooth;
bottomview.jpg

With the GBD logo, LONDON, ENGLAND Century and the shape #1624 stamped on the bottom. I have discovered with the aid of a wonderful website put together by Mr. Jerry Hanna that this particular line began production in 1950. However the shape number was not listed on the site. For those of you that collect GBD pipes this site; GBD site Has a lot of information on shapes and model numbers.
The pipe features a straight bowl that is very deep for a pipe this size;
bowldepth.jpg

However the bowl is of average width;
bowlwidth.jpg

I found the pipe excellently suited to Virginia blends, and have smoked Rattray's HOTW, and Escudo in it with superb results. This unique shape with the classic GBD Rondelle, just looks nice to my eye. It feels amazingly light in the hand, and is a pleasure to smoke. I cannot say enough for the briar from this era, I do not know why but it seems the 50's thru the mid 70's saw GBD using some real high quality briar. It is light, hard and cool, a combination that always seem to satisfy. Another favorite to join it's English brothers and sisters in my collection.

profilemacro1.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just sent Mr. Hanna a tin of some GLP he was looking for in return for helping me ID my last two GBD's (from Weezel). He is a very nice gentleman.
That is a very neat GBD! That stem will come back nicely, take your time with it. The good news is that roundel is hard to damage, unlike stamped stems (CP in particular!)

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I would be lost without Mr. Hanna's site! Thanks for all the kind comments, this is a great place to discuss the pleasantries of pipe smoking, with people knowledgeable in the art.

Status
Not open for further replies.