PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Here is my progression over the last three years:

Month 1: Why doesn’t this 1-Q taste like cookies?

Month 3: Wow! Englishes are all I need because they don’t taste like cigarettes!

Month 6: Virginias are just Canadian Cigarettes.

Month : This Dark Fired stuff is so incredibly tasty, why isn’t it in every blend?

Month 12: Why is this Dark Fired stuff in almost every blend? Geez.

Month 15: I can finally enjoy the tobacco and the topping in Mac Baren blends like Mixture Scottish.

Month 18: I think I can taste nuts in this toasted burley!

Month 24: OTC burley (with coffee) was always brilliant! The rest of it is all unnecessary nonsense.

Month 27: This Full Virginia Flake doesn’t taste like cigarettes. Hmm.

Month 30: I could just survive on Virginia flakes of different kinds.

Month 36: I had to layer a bowl with two different kinds of Virginia flakes in to finish two jars, and could taste when the ember transitioned from one to the next.

I can taste the “lead component” in a JimInks review, and get some inkling of the “secondary players”, but I figure it’ll take a few more years to detect the stuff that’s listed as a “condiment.”

But I still don’t get Perique. Too tingly for my retrohale.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yep, I'll second that. Very good and very detailed. I've also been smoking a pipe for exactly three years. My progression is like yours, except exclude everything but months 1, 15 and 18, and add Month 24: Just smoked a sixteenth of a bowl of Sutliff 515 RC-1, and now I want to kill myself. ?

Edit: I still want to kill myself I no longer want to kill myself, but that stuff should be banned by executive order or something.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My progression in 3 years:

Started off with a Duty Free tin of Peterson's Connoisseur Blend. Still one of my favourite aromatic blends

Given a few generous samples of English and oriental Blends and loving them straight off. Smoked pretty much nothing else for the next 12-18 months

18 months ago decided to "expand my horizon" into Virginias and Vapers.
I found my first forays into straight "bright" Virginias disappointing - too "cigarette like". I am just starting to get the more subtle nuances of straight Virginias and enjoying them more.

I am now trying Burleys and OTC blends eg Amphora Full Aroma, in the hope that my wife will complain less about the smell - even though I only smoke outdoors. ?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Only one place left to go:

But I still don’t get Perique. Too tingly for my retrohale.

Then you will have arrived...Perique is the final destination. You gotta clear out those sinuses.

Just don't make the mistake I did and get hooked on it while you still have a lot of Latakia blends laying around. I probably only have a bowl or two a month of those now.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Perique is the final destination. You gotta clear out those sinuses.

At least the Virginia lovers made their pitch with nice things like sweetness and subtlety. Perique‘s pitch is … figgy fisherman’s friend? Maybe on a dare someday I’ll try a Perique heavy blend just to see.

Just don't make the mistake I did and get hooked on it while you still have a lot of Latakia blends laying around. I probably only have a bowl or two a month of those now.

Yes, same here. I love all my children, but some spend more time in a bin at the back of the cellar than others.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Only one place left to go:
..Perique is the final destination. You gotta clear out those sinuses.
I ordered some tobacco online recently including a quantity of Perique (for blending) only to be contacted by the tobacconist within a few minutes of the order going in.

He wanted to be sure I was not intending to smoke the Perique straight.

I quickly thanked him for his concern and assured him that I fully intend to use the Perique (very) judiciously. puffy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Casual and brian64

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I ordered some tobacco online recently including a quantity of Perique (for blending) only to be contacted by the tobacconist within a few minutes of the order going in.

He wanted to be sure I was not intending to smoke the Perique straight.

I quickly thanked him for his concern and assured him that I fully intend to use the Perique (very) judiciously. puffy
Now the only thing to do is load a full bowl of that stuff straight as soon as you get it and fire it up.

• Haha
Reactions: Casual and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's easier to smoke straight than blended. Much of the spiciness comes from it's interaction with other tobaccos in a blend.
I got some C&D red Virginia as well.

Going to try that on its own and then blended with the Perique in different proportions.

I also have quite a light Virginias and intend making several blends to see if I can understand the contribution each makes to the whole.

Always mindful of course that "the whole is often more than the sum of its parts".

But in the meantime I have NO plans to give up my daytime job. ?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got some C&D red Virginia as well.

Going to try that on its own and then blended with the Perique in different proportions.

I also have quite a light Virginias and intend making several blends to see if I can understand the contribution each makes to the whole.

Always mindful of course that "the whole is often more than the sum of its parts".

But in the meantime I have NO plans to give up my daytime job. ?
I like C&D's granulated perique all by itself but strangely is very good blended with Autumn Evening.

Reactions: JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I like C&D's granulated perique all by itself but strangely is very good blended with Autumn Evening.
@JimInks ability to pick out the nuances of the different components of a blend is most impressive.

In wine tasting one follows a similar approach in analysing the different flavour components.

Being a relative newcomer back to pipe smoking, I thought it's time to take a bit more of an analytical approach. So far it has been "I like this blend or I don't like that one", and not really getting down to the why ?
I suppose subconsciously I didn't want pipe smoking to become too anal an activity. ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
And hot sauce loses its bite if you chug the whole bottle. Trust me!
That's only because you've nuked all your taste receptors ?

I remember being told that pain was not necessarily a bad thing. It warns you against harmful activities/ behaviour. If you felt pain, it meant that your nerves were still intact. The absence of pain meant that your nerves were no longer functional.

Reactions: mingc and Casual

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And hot sauce loses its bite if you chug the whole bottle. Trust me!
It didn't even occur to me that Embers may have been joking. I guess I'll have to try a bowl of straight perique one of these days and find out.

Reactions: Casual