Penny Farthing - What's Changed, and When?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
pennyFarthing1.jpg

I'll start by saying I love the stuff and have just over a pound - most of it being from 2020 and 2021. I haven't bought any since 2021, and that was early in the year.
I recall a thread here discussing its changes and how it's not what it used to be.
Can anyone lend any insight into what these changes were and roughly when they occurred? The oldest I've got is 2019 and I don't notice any difference from early 2021 production (though I've never compared the two side by side).
I'd like to grab a stack of tins soon but not if the blend just isn't good anymore (some were quite critical of its changes).

Last edited by a moderator:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Company representative will be along shortly to gaslight you that there have been no changes, with the caveat that any actual changes are due to batch variation.

Pennyfarthing is a Pease/C&D product and while I'm not a big fan of most of their offerings, Jeremy Reeves, Greg Pease, and Laudisi have never been anything but forthcoming and honest when problems occur whether it's the tins, a blend itself, or mold. They'd never be so insensitive and flippant as to blame poor QC on the "tins not being meant for long-term aging." They understand the value of customer relations.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Pennyfarthing is a Pease/C&D product and while I'm not a big fan of most of their offerings, Jeremy Reeves, Greg Pease, and Laudisi have never been anything but forthcoming and honest when problems occur whether it's the tins, a blend itself, or mold. They'd never be so insensitive and flippant as to blame poor QC on the "tins not being meant for long-term aging." They understand the value of customer relations.
This forum DOES need more men like you - in touch with their feelings and not afraid to bare their sensitivities.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

Just my experience. Perhaps I'm an outlier. I also mailed samples to Reeves, along with a nice letter and a sample of cutter top Three Nuns. No response.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Just my experience. Perhaps I'm an outlier. I also mailed samples to Reeves, along with a nice letter and a sample of cutter top Three Nuns. No response.

I stand corrected.

Reactions: greeneyes
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I planned on seeing more "nothings changed" replies. But I definitely recall a few members discussing changes. I'll have to do some digging. It was enough to deter me from buying more, but I never really discovered the "why" behind that.

Company representative will be along shortly to gaslight you that there have been no changes, with the caveat that any actual changes are due to batch variation.

Reactions: greeneyes

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
It hasn't changed. But, being a shag cut, it is prone to burning according to how the person behind the pipe smokes it -- fast or slow. The rate of smoking can really change the experience. The blend was introduced in the last half of 2019, so it really hasn't been around long enough to have changed. I don't know how it responds to cellaring -- I haven't smoked any in a while. Much like OJK, it is a 'sipping' tobacco. Go fast at your own peril.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
It hasn't changed. But, being a shag cut, it is prone to burning according to how the person behind the pipe smokes it -- fast or slow. The rate of smoking can really change the experience. The blend was introduced in the last half of 2019, so it really hasn't been around long enough to have changed. I don't know how it responds to cellaring -- I haven't smoked any in a while. Much like OJK, it is a 'sipping' tobacco. Go fast at your own peril.
This makes sense. I pack shag tighter and prefer a slower smoke.
Maybe those saying new tins were different were in fact just smoking it differently.
I assumed a change after reading their replies because it wouldn't be the first time (or the last) we've seen a blend change.

Reactions: Bengel