PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
What is the typical amount of Latakia found in crossover blends? Yes, I know most here are not blenders. I am only looking for an estimate. I have too much Latakia and too many Aros that will not be smoked or only smoked as a last resort. I would like to make a mix that will make them more to my liking. I enjoy most crossover blends such as Aromatic English. Thoughts.

Reactions: Servant King

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Although I haven’t smoked any aromatic English blends, I am always making blends and have experimented lots with English styles. I like around 15% lat for a mild English. 20% gets more into medium territory and if you smoke heavy lat blends that might be your definition of mild. At 10% the lat will serve to give some richness to a blend but it won’t be really smoky and it will fade out fairly quickly and move the other tobaccos to the forefront. 5-10% is still noticeable but really in the background depending on how flavourful the other tobaccos in the blend are.

moisture content can play a factor in dealing with small percentages but play around in the 10-20% range and you should find something. If you like a more pronounced lat flavour then try in the 20-30% range.